cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterization question

Mike_NW
Explorer
Explorer
We paid CW to winterize our class C. As part of the winterization procedure should they have dumped the black and grey tanks? It appears they did not dump the tanks and now they are frozen. I find this very frustrating in that in the previous year this was a part of the winterization. I haven't contacted CW yet, but do intend to talk with them tomorrow. I am just curious to hear some feedback as to what the expectation is of others and maybe some of your experiences with CW if they have winterized your unit.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Mike_NW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. We are relatively new to RV'ing and this is only the second year I had to winterize. Last year the center that did the winterization dumped the tanks. I just figured it was part of the process especially since they have a dump site at CW. The tanks thawed and I dumped them with no problems. Next year I am going to dump the tanks. Live and learn.

markbrumbaugh
Explorer
Explorer
Just me I guess, but I would dump my own tanks before taking in for any service. That wouldn't be considered winterization, just normal what you do before you leave the last campsite.
Patriot Guard, USA Ice Hockey Ref and Level 4 Coach, Reg Prof ChE
Hunting, Fishing, Lakehouse, Grandkids, Kids, Camping
Vulcan 900, Morphous

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taking care of your poop is not part of a normal winterization. If you dropped the unit off with empty tanks, then normal winterization procedure would be to ensure the valves are open and cap is off at the end of the process.

If you left them with a big tank of poop, then you should expect to end up with a big tank of frozen poop.

If you ordered a winterization and a tank dump (two separate services), then you would expect empty tanks when you pick up your unit.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Wow - if their service didn't include dumping the tanks - they should have warned you?? The flexible poly tanks can probably survive being frozen - but all the PVC lines leading from the tanks will probably be damaged.

On edit: keep in mind that at some point, those lines will have to be thawed and they'll be leaking BAD stuff....

I know lots of folks that freeze their tanks in the mountains skiing. I don't know of anyone that has had issues. They come down off the mountain, wait a day (to thaw) and go dump.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow - if their service didn't include dumping the tanks - they should have warned you?? The flexible poly tanks can probably survive being frozen - but all the PVC lines leading from the tanks will probably be damaged.

On edit: keep in mind that at some point, those lines will have to be thawed and they'll be leaking BAD stuff....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dogbone
Explorer
Explorer
I would put a lot of anti freeze in both tanks right away just in case.
2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
If you have it done at the local rv shop here they flush and clean your tanks black grey and potable. They might be pissed if you brought it in with full dirty tanks but would do it.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't think dumping the tanks would be a normal part of winterizing. That is a normal part of leaving camp. Winterizing is removing all water from the fresh water system.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Didn't dump the waste tanks.......

Did you take it to them with stuff in waste tanks?
Does that CW have dump station on site?
Did you tell them tanks have stuff in them?

Other than a few gallons of water left behind from rinsing/flushing when you dumped them there shouldn't be anything in them when you took it in for winterizing.

When winterizing anti-freeze should have been run thru faucets and flowed into 'P' traps will some going into grey
Anti-freeze poured down toilet into black tank and then some in bowl.

Unless tanks were FULL should be room for expansion so hopefully no cracks.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it was on our check list when we did that service.