cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

security in RV parks

joema62
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to know if anyone has experience with park security in South Texas down towards Brownsville and Harlingen
15 REPLIES 15

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with any area, things change all of the time, and in some places, daily. Situational awareness of what is going on around you is the most important thing to your own personal safety. If you don't feel comfortable at ANY RV park, when you are there, leave. Some people travel armed and some do not. It doesn't matter what someone else experienced two days, two weeks, or two years ago. If it doesn't feel right to you at that minute, that is all that matters......just leave. There are plenty of RV parks and plenty of other places to visit.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We drove through Cameron Park at 9 PM..!!! Lots of people out and about, but we didn't feel threatened or uneasy. We found it interesting...I even had my window down...We found that most people living in the RGV are friendly and courteous, unlike some IN our campground....:E.

IMHO, our predjudices, lead to our being uncomfortable around other folks.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
joema62 wrote:
Would like to know if anyone has experience with park security in South Texas down towards Brownsville and Harlingen

There are some very nice homes in both those communities, there are also some very run down sections. If I was to pick, I would pick Harlingen and the towns to the east if you're concern about your surroundings.

As you read the prior posts you'll notice a lot of fencing and gates being talked about. You won't see a lot of late night walking outside those parks either. If you don't mind living inside a compound at night time, and enjoying your parks activities and neighbors then no problems.

As far as LEO's go, remember a police officer and an immigration officer has two different jobs. It's up to an immigration's officer to what extent they wish to get involved in a police type incident. Their charter is different then an officers. Don't assume if you're in a fender bender that they will pull over and give assistance. You'll see more immigrations officer to the west of Harlingen and in southern Brownsville.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Most parks have limited ways in and out. And, the best security---nosy neighbors, not a bad thing.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been in 24 hour gated resorts with gate guards that were usually found sleeping at the wheel come 3am. But they still made me feel safe. LOL

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at Mission West. We have a gate and all guest have gate passes. I think the gate is to make anyone feel safe that need a gate. We are enjoying our stay.

TexasH
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bentsen Palm Village in Mission for the last 8 years and never had any problems. The park is adjacent to the Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and just a half mile from the river. Also, the state park has NEVER had any incidents relating to illegals in the park. I'm sure that there are some illegals moving through the area sometimes, but not the drug war types. The Border Patrol is very visible and they always do a great job. We see TV stories fairly often about drug busts along the valley, but never any violent stuff. I always felt safer there than I do in many big cities!

Bentsen Palm Village does have a fence around it and locked gates at night to make everyone feel safer and to prevent pilferage.
2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
You are "safer" in the RGV than you will be in any park in San Antonio, as there is at least 1 law enforcement officer per block in the Valley. Most parks offer some type of security, especially at night, when most crime occurs.

Safe is a very subjective word and can only be defined by the person asking. Is there crime in the RV parks in that area, you bet and almost daily. Are these crimes violent in nature or any type of crime against a person, very seldom. Most crimes in the parks there are property crimes, just like any place else in America.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Here are some comments in RV Park reviews:
Border parks

Posts from 2010..........

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, we did...the security guys came around way too often....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are some comments in RV Park reviews:
Border parks

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the more upscale parks have locked gates after a given time. No evidence I've ever seen that they were necessary (no crashed gates Or chaos near them) what specifically is your concern about it?

We usually stay in "First Colony" in Harlingen and they issue a gate entry card for after 8:00pm but gates are open all day. Apparently crime only happens after 8:00 ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
I bet their a lot of parks down their, be more specific.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Provide your own wherever you go!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape