cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

would ya/could ya use Flexseal on the roof??

mcal63775
Explorer
Explorer
Having just watched the commercial for the product called Flexseal, a thick liquid that turns into a "flexible rubber sealant". It can be ordered in black or white. I am seriously thinking about putting it on my rubber roof which needs, in my opinion, replaced. A couple of coats rolled on the roof with a paint roller and brushed on along the edges. Do you think it is a good idea? Ideas? Pros and cons? 33 foot Coachmen with two AC units on top.
11 REPLIES 11

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
1ofmany wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
My solution to my failed rubber roof was This. Problem solved and no more caulking EVER!
Seen this...wonder about the cost?????

It isn't cheap, but a lot less than a destroyed RV after a rubber roof leak that you don't find until your rig is destroyed.

After experiencing a rubber roof failure that fortunately I caught before any major damage occurred, I consider a new roof just the cost necessary to build an RV roof correctly the first time. If I were buying a new RV today I would have the roof sprayed before I ever moved into it or even used it. No more rubber membrane to fail, caulking seams to fail, etc. No more getting on the roof a couple of times a year to try to see where the next leak will come from.

The cost of the RV Flex Armor roof can be slightly different at each of their install locations. I had mine done in Jackson, MS and it was $170.00/linear foot. Not cheap I agree, but worth every cent to me.

I can now hear the TV when it is raining because of the extra roof thickness and my a/c's actually cycle on/off even in Florida on a 90 degree day.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do a search of the MSDS sheet on Flexseal, you will find that it contains a significant amount of petroleum products in it. Anything that would not be affected by petroleum or asphalt products would be fine for using Flexseal.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
mcal63775 wrote:
I hope to find old posts of this subject that has been discussed before. So it is going to be a do not use on the MH roof product. Thanks for the input!! Travel safe.
If you have a fiberglass roof Dicor Self Leveling Caulk works really well. Interesting comments on the flexseal, I also bought a can of that when it first came out but never used it on anything!

mcal63775
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to find old posts of this subject that has been discussed before. So it is going to be a do not use on the MH roof product. Thanks for the input!! Travel safe.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fiberglass or aluminum, maybe. A soft material roof, never. I have concerns about material compatibility.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
My solution to my failed rubber roof was This. Problem solved and no more caulking EVER!
Seen this...wonder about the cost?????

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I receintly purchased a can of Flexseal, and then ended up not using it. So now I am in the process of fixing up my tool shed, replacing rotten wood, missing shingles and new paint. I used over a dozen tubes of old caulking sealers on it, then ran out. I didn't want to purchase anything new, because I've simply got too much old stuff laying around from previous projects. So I decided to give the Flexseal a try. Well, it did spray and closed up cracks, but almost as fast as it dried, it was subject to pealing right off. I ended up slapping some paint on top of it right away to seal the Flexseal, so it wouldn't peal off any more. It worked, and under that left over spray paint is a rubber protection, sealing those cracks (until the paint chips off).

So my "shed of many colors" fix is finished, and I started painting it all one color tonight. So, it's now rebuilt and sealed pretty good.

But on the roof of my travel trailer? After what I just experienced with it ... NEVER!

For the OP. It is worth it to purchase a single can and experiment with it on various surfaces and then judge for yourself. Lowe's now sells it in the paint section. That's where I got my can.

Will I use it again? Probably not!

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I used it on a couple of corner pieces that have cracked. It needs a rough surface to stick. Seems to work OK in the cracks I wanted it in though. Will peel off irrespective of other issues it might have.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
and if any moisture is trapped underneath it will bubble up when the water turns to steam on a hot day. Even if you use white
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
This has been discussed on the forum several times. Most agree, it is not a good idea to use Flex Seal on rubber roofs.

I believe it's a petroleum based product that is not good for the roof.