cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

year 2000 Minnie Winnie

jaycle
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering buying my first used class c. It's a Minnie Winnie, year = 2000, 28 footer, queen in back. What would be a great price? It has 67,000. It's about a 6 hour drive away, but from the pictures and the ad, it appears to be in excellent shape. It's a private seller. Is this a good year, make, and model? Any problems I should be aware of? I'll take it to a local RV dealer to have it checked out before buying.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you will find anything under 26 ft with a walk around bed. 28 ft about it. I agree that a non slideout is best as it only opens up unusable floor space and takes up 8 inches of wall space.

jaycle
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, thanks for all the posts, I just wish it was shorter, but so far, I can't find a 24 footer or less with a walk around queen/full bed in back and a sofa. Corner bed, yes, but we want a walk around, no slide outs.

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
In this day of Skype or similar products, have them walk around the camper and inside to show you a current picture of the unit. Of course that means they have a laptop and internet. They could also create a movie using a camera and send it to you and if you are really cautious, have them put a newspaper in the film showing a current date. From that you should be able to see if you want to take a 6 hr drive for the other lings that 5mainecampers has posted. Myself we bought and have a 2001 25 ft Winnie that you couldn't pay enough for me to sell. The quality is so much better and practical compared to the new ones. Just two things, you will have a double sink and doors on the bench seats.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Insist on a long test drive, preferably including some 4-lane with fast-passing semi's and uneven pavement. Check the tire pressures first, against what's listed on the door post or glove box. Note any handling irregularities or tendency to white-knuckle you. Remember this is a 14-15 year-old coach. Assuming it's a Ford chassis, note how you fit in the driver's space, and how much footroom there is for your front passenger.

If it smells moldy when you first open the coach door, best IMO to use your return ticket right then.

Jim, "The other night I ate in a real family restaurant. Every table had a fight going."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I took almost two years to find the right used class C. All the pictures we saw did not tell the whole story. Several, in fact, I was not sure if it was the same motorhome in the picture. All of the ones advertised had some sort of water damage either in the overhead bunk area or in the rear of the coach. As in previous reply check everything and check it twice.We bought a 1998 Yellowstone in 2012 that was taken care of both inside and out. We did not get it from and ad, but saw it in a yard with a FOR SALE sign on it in our own town. Owner had all maintenance records from the day he bought it.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago is an above-average coach, but none is immune to leaks as noted above so check carefully. It's a Year 2000 Coach, but what is the Model Year of the Ford chassis? Ford changed the cylinder heads going from the 1997-8-9 V10's to the 2000 and later ones. The newer heads are better. Ask if the Spark Plugs have been changed, and plan on having a trained technician change them in the future if the heads are not year 2000.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on the condition and price; as far as year goes it will most likely have the triton V10 motor on Ford E450 chassis-- very dependable and reliable power train--- check maintenance records; check age of tires; check brakes and lines. The biggest is the condition of the coach--- check the roof (ave life in northeast is 15 years) check for any leaks around windows( check walls below windows for any soft areas or wall paper wrinkling) check the bunk area--- known for leaks around window and roof lights--- take cushion off and inspect the floor area. Inspect outside for any delamination (around awning support brackets, fridge vent, and windows) often a sign of water leaks; triple check for any prior or current water damage---- water leaks can be like cancer-- if any we're fixed triple check making sure they were fixed and repaired correctly (be very skeptical)-- if you are still going to proceed make sure you price your offer accordingly. Try and keep 2-3K aside in your budget for any maintenance items (tires/brakes/etc). If price is right and condition is right then a 2000 model year can serve you several years. I bought a 1998 in 2011 (had recent tires, brakes, and tune up and all other service records) for 9K. Good luck