cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone advice?

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip to West Yellowstone next summer. I am driving from Louisiana. I need some help on the route? What is the better way in a 43 foot rv with a toad?
21 REPLIES 21

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great write-up for all roads leading into Yellowstone:

Road Descriptions leading into Yellowstone
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Any places one may stay with a 35' MH without far in advance reservations?

In Yellowstone, Mammoth campground doesn't accept reservations. You need to park nearby the previous night and drive in the morning as folks are leaving. It's doable though and is a lovely campground.

In Grand Teton Nat'l Park next door Gros Ventre (our favorite) and Colter Bay campgrounds don't accept reservations. Each has 300 sites and rarely fill. We've never had a problem with our 40' motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
clnhse wrote:
I was thinking a couple of weeks.
so, the drive thru the park is ok in a 43 foot rv with a toad?

I guessing I will stop outside of Grapevine TX first. Then my second stop will be Rocksprings then Yellowstone in the morning.

On the way back I can drive thru the park to Jackson. Then Pikes Peak. Then a stop in Amarillo, then home to Louisiana.

Yes, you can drive through the park with your 43' and a toad without issue. I would not try to "tour" the park with that setup but you can get E to W or N to S without any problems.
I suggest that you also plan a trip to Cody on your way in or your way out (some make a long day drive back and forth). The museum there is truly something to behold. It took us 2 days to take it all in so an overnight (at least) in Cody is well worth it.

Also for considering coming in through the south entrance and visiting Jackson Hole and Grand Teton NP, which has a great full service campground within.
Going out the east entrance and once leaving Cody, we went to Thermopolis for a night and visited the dinosaur diggings and museum. Then over Powder river pass (be careful going down) into Buffalo.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Any places one may stay with a 35' MH without far in advace reservations?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The May 16 issue of National Geographic magazine is all about Yellowstone and some on the Tetons. It was in my doctors office waiting room yesterday but even if you have to go to a library to see a copy of it... well worth doing. If reading it does not get Yellowstone and the Tetons on your must do list, there is no hope for you. I hope to make it there again this summer for the seventh or eighth time.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Been there many times I enter the Park via I-90 at Livingston, MT. I stay at the RV Park just before the bridge where you enter the Park (I can't remember the name of the RV Park). I've seen more animals at the North of of the Park then anywhere else.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
clnhse wrote:

I guessing I will stop outside of Grapevine TX first. Then my second stop will be Rocksprings then Yellowstone in the morning.

On the way back I can drive thru the park to Jackson. Then Pikes Peak. Then a stop in Amarillo, then home to Louisiana.

Yes, you can drive through the park with your 43' and a toad without issue. I would not try to "tour" the park with that setup but you can get E to W or N to S without any problems.
I suggest that you also plan a trip to Cody on your way in or your way out (some make a long day drive back and forth). The museum there is truly something to behold. It took us 2 days to take it all in so an overnight (at least) in Cody is well worth it.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
Following, Planning a visit to Yellowstone July of 2017, Coming from NJ.

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like I-80/Nebraska instead of I-70/Kansas as Nebraska is not as boring as Kansas. By cutting the corner on 2 from Nebraska City to Lincoln it's 50 miles shorter than going to Denver. The two best ways to see Kansas is at night or from 30,000 feet.:B

Instead of 89/26 after Jackson, I would and do go in the south entrance of Yellowstone to get to West Yellowstone with my 42' pulling a toad plus it's 60 miles shorter and a easy scenic drive... only a couple of places where traffic slows down. Like I said above... eat lunch at Old Faithful.

If you by byway of Denver you can bypass Cheyenne by using 289. 89/6/191 are good roads, but not very scenic. How many days do you have?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
ok,, thanks for the advice. I think this is the way I will go, please let me know if this is an ok drive.
I49 to Shreveport
I20 to Dallas
287 Amarillo
I25to Denver
I25 Cheyenne can I cut it on the 287?
I80 to Laramie
191 Rocksprings
side trip to Jackson
20 Grizzly RV

home
I15
I70
stop at arches
I70 Denver
I25
24 Pikes Peak
I25
I40 Amarillo
287 Dallas
I20 I49.....

opinions?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where are you going after Yellowstone/Tetons? It seems like the national parks are all 500 miles apart except for the Tetons/Yellowstone... 50 miles. How are you planning on getting from West Yellowstone to Jackson? I hope it is not on 22 over Teton Pass. I think you will find it makes better sense to go to the Tetons on 287 first and then in the south entrance of Yellowstone to West Yellowstone especially coming from Louisiana.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing where you're leaving, I chose Lafayette, LA. From there take I-49 to Shreveport; I-20W to Dallas; I-35 N to I-70 at Saline, KS; I-70 W to Denver; North on I-25 to I-80West. See my above post on one option from I-80 at Rock Springs. This would bypass your driving through both Grand Teton & Yellowstone parks to get to W. Yellowstone if you took 287 off I-80. You'd go to Idaho Springs and then north faster than 287 but you'd add 100 miles. Going through the parks is o.k. but it's slow-going. Park your MH then do your driving through the parks.

You'll have 1800-2000 miles from Louisiana and it's all easy driving.

Ourselves, we dislike interstates and big cities so we would find secondary routes and enjoy the scenery.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
I like to drive hard at the start of a trip. I fell the excitement pumps me to push it. I always go to my farthest stop first then work my way back home. I am planning on stoping in Jackson on the way back. I know I can knock out the 2000 miles in 2.5 days. I drive to Disney 700 miles straight a couple times a year. My concern is the roads to the west side. Since there is not an interstate direct to the west side I need some opinions on the route from Louisiana.