cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

yellowstone campgrounds?

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a summer trip to Yellowstone. I was going to stay South of the park but the campground choices look slim for a 43 foot RV. Then I looked at entering from the East side but the roads look scary. What would the experienced RV'rs suggest? I feel the parks inside the park will not work because of my length.
33 REPLIES 33

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
dahkota wrote:
Try mammoth campground at the north end. They have some that will hold a 43' but you have to get there early...
X-2, and more animals on the North side.

It's first come first serve.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Distances in Yellowstone is the reason we pick a couple places IN the park. It's no big deal to move from one area to another. We've stayed at both Bridge Bay and Mammoth - north and south - and it saved a lot of driving and we were able to explore more in each area. There are many places throughout the park that most tourists don't even go because they're constantly on the move.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
Try mammoth campground at the north end. They have some that will hold a 43' but you have to get there early...
X-2, and more animals on the North side.

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about distances from attractions. You do the parks in loops. So while one campground will be close to something one day, it's going to be the furtherest on the next loops. For example when we stayed at the fishing bridge dump once, it was further away from Old Faithful then Grizzly in West yellowstone. Same goes for Mammoth Hot springs.

Don't worry how far anything is, it's just a great ride. A tip that worked well for us. When you see a people jam gawking at animals, we would drive past the crowd. A short distance down the road would be all the animals that fled the crowds running into the fields trying to get selfies with the animals. Time and time again we were alone with a herd of bison.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may even want to come all the way to I-15 and then north.
Not sure where you are coming from.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that Yellowstone is a BIG park. If you stay any distance outside the park, it makes for a long drive. You really need about 4-5 days to see the park and adding a 20-30 mile round trip to that will be brutal.

Our favorite is Fishing Bridge, but you're too big for that. Grizzly is a good choice, but is at the west end and will take a lot of driving. It's located in a nice little town, which can provide some amenities.

We stayed once at Flagg Ranch. It has big sites with good separation. Lots of trees so satellite might be an issue if that is important to you. As stated, it's cool there so if you can survive on 20 amps for a few days, it's a good choice. What makes it better than the others is that it's closer to most of the big attractions, is right in between the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and is a short trip to Jackson. If you come in the east gate, it's not far to Flagg Ranch which borders the south entrance.

There is also a nice store and restaurant at Flagg Ranch.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you're coming from. There are no bad roads going into yellowstone. Our last trip there we came across the Bighorn national forest and in Rt. 14. It was a nice ride. We left south on 89, another nice ride.

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
My last question. It looks like my best option is to come in from the south I 80 to hwy 191? Drive into the park to stay at Grizzly? Any comments?

HeresLucy
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstones Edge

We stayed @ the above CG about 30 miles to the North Entrance. Picked this because I'm not fond of steep grades and although a lot of folks say it's no problem I wasn't so sure. I'm the route planner. Now that we've stayed here - my husband said I made the right choice. He said if we returned he'd be ok with Grizzly RV park but the others -they are just not big enough or not enough services and too much work to get there. He prefers to find a nice comfortable place to stay make the trek to our daily destinations in our Jeep.

If doing early in the year they say get your trip in before Mid July - after that the peak tourist season kicks in and traffic will be heavy.

If you choose Yellowstones Edge - request a site on the North end - near the river instead of the road. Stay away from the South end sites that backup along the river. The flying bugs from the river are heavy there. But the other side is really nice and better views. Some nice restaurants not too far from the CG. A general store (that stocks more than a convenient store and gas station also about 4 miles away.

Here's a great article on Yellowstone and driving recommendations from thru all entrances. http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php?pg=all

Here's another great resource on mountain driving when off the interstate. http://www.mountaindirectory.com/coverage-area-west/

You probably know the grades on interstate are typically no more than 7%.. exception in a few areas. Because I do not feel like Magellan.. I keep us on the interstates in the MH. ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are many safe ways to travel to Yellowstone with an RV. It just depends what you want to see on the way. From Louisiana you could head in the direction of I-40 west and tour the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Then you could take 89 north from Flagstaff, AZ and tour the awesome southern Utah national parks - Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef or another direction to Monument Valley and Arches Nat'l Park. Then work your way up to Jackson, WY and stay at Colter Bay RV in Teton Nat'l Park. Then continue driving north through Yellowstone and exit to West Yellowstone if that's where you're planning to stay.

When finished with Yellowstone you could head back via the Dakotas and stop at other main spots. Lots to see in the West! Have fun planning.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

clnhse
Explorer
Explorer
rstoro wrote:
We were just there in August and stayed at Grizzly Rv park in west Yellowstone very nice park and only 1 mile from the west entrance. we were able to see everything we wanted to from there. We came in from the south all the way from Georgia.

r & s

Since you came from my direction which route did you take?

rstoro
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there in August and stayed at Grizzly Rv park in west Yellowstone very nice park and only 1 mile from the west entrance. we were able to see everything we wanted to from there. We came in from the south all the way from Georgia.

r & s

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone Edge north of Yellowstone then eat at Chico Hot Springs Resort
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You said you were coming thinking about coming in from the East and now you are considering coming in from I-80 WAY to the South. A bit of clarity might be helpful. Where do you plan to be before you head toward Yellowstone. Maybe we could give you the best route from that location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?