cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beer can cooking....not the norm

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure a lot of you have done the ole standby beer can chicken (or whatever else you use, you get the drift)

Last time we went to the dunes, I broke out the Weber, and did a beer can DUCK!!! And a chicken too for those that had second thoughts about the duck.

They were both good, but the duck was very good. I brined it overnight on salt water, and seasoned it like you would with any other poultry, I used my rub.

It cooked indirect for about 2 or so hours. Nice and golden, and we tore into it. Very tasty and not too greasy. Most of the fat cooked off because it was standing upright, and I cooked it low and slow.

I have a pic on my phone, if I can get it on here, I'll add it. Have fun with this one, if you've never done or thought of it. Next hurdle, deep fried duck.....
7 REPLIES 7

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to smoke duck too. I give it a rub (like KC Masterpiece rub). Then smoke it @ 200-225* for 4 hours, Then when I pull it off the grill I have a loaf of bread and my favorite BBQ sauce ready. Split the bread skin open and pull to the side and every body pull off some onto the bread, put sauce on and enjoy. It's great!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Was it a farm raised duck or wild? I'm wondering about how to hold the excess fat(I like to keep it for sauteing potatoes for instance) and of course how much is rendered.

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
And your rub? Is that a secret also? I'm just starting to get into this brine/rub thing and need all the help I can get, if you don't mind sharing. It'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Start with some Rudy's poultry rub. rudys.com unless you have a Rudy's close to you

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
And your rub? Is that a secret also? I'm just starting to get into this brine/rub thing and need all the help I can get, if you don't mind sharing. It'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1, I used water and salt, like I do every time. I'm a KISS person, keep it simple stupid. I'm an old school pit master from NC originally.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aw yes the old beer can chicken. When this was the craze a few years back a few friends and I tried it all,different rubs,different liquid and such.

We did chickens,ducks which were delicious and even a turkey. Now that was a challenge but a Weber with a spacer worked.

When we ran out of ideas we turned to other things, the most fun was a brace of Cornish Game Hens. The only thing was finding a can that would fit.

Along came a friend that had the solution.He used THESE when golfing,they fit perfectly in the ball pouch of his bag and the were a perfect fit for the Hens. We would do half a dozen at a time, it looked like a little parade.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Brining makes an incredible difference. I brine my holiday bird from 3-5 days. They are awesome. What do you put in your brine?
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008