cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Ring Sausage?

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having an old age crisis; don't like any of my sausage selections any more. Hillshire Farms and Johnsonville both taste like bad bologna.

I kind of like Holmes Smokehouse Original, Trace Adkins Original, and Kreutz Market BBQ in Lockhart. I sometimes order 25 of the Kreutz Mkt sausages, but their shipping is pretty fierce. Any ideas?
21 REPLIES 21

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Fifthwheeleroldman.
We keep our seasoning pretty simple. Red and black pepper table salt and curing salt.
We used to hand grind 30 or so pounds of pork, then put it in a cast iron sausage stuffer. A couple of years ago we bought an electric grinder with a stuffing tube. Really made it easier and faster. We have a 6ft tall, 3ft wide smoker made of pipe casing. It is not portable to say the least. We have smoked tasso on our bbq. Don't know why you couldn't do same with a small amount of sausage..

Sherry

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you Snow birding to Florida. I found a 'great' Polish/German deli in Leesburg. Their homemade sausage is real good.

They also make Pierogi that are to die for and taste just like how my Busha made them. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
Double D looks similar to Polish sausage in any package, just about. It's clear wrapped, and vaccuum packed. Sometimes I will take the entire package and smoke it, then portion and vaccumm bag it myself.

Worth the time to look into it, I promise...

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
What do the Double D sausages look like, little rings like Luling BBQ, Kreutz Mkt, or what? Guess I'd have to order them. Might wait for cooler weather to minimize risk in shipping?

I'm really tempted by derouen6's making his own, but I usually don't do stuff like that very well, or so my wife says. What seasonings do you use? I don't have a smoker, guess you'd have to have that.

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
cabranch47 wrote:
I prefer Double D to any of the "off the shelf) sausages. Just my opinion.

^^^^^^^^^^This is my choice for best answer. I use Double D a lot. It is very good, and a variety of tastes are satisfied. They hot and mild, pork, and beef.

I take a 10" section, cut lengthwise in half, then fry in a heavy pan. Remove and slice into bite size pieces. I use 2 servings of good rice, saute in the drippings from the sausage until it's almost brownish. Add the water for the rice and put the sliced sausage back in. Cover it up, stir a few times, until rice is cooked. Serve. It's very good the next day for lunch!!!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
In Tulsa we have Siegi's Sausage Factory. They make a bunch of different varieties and their stuff is tasty. Their main web store is down and being revamped, but they've temporarily moved it to http://siegis.wazala.com/ . Most of their sausages aren't in a ring shape but are more the size and shape of bratwurst.

When you said ring sausage, my mind at first went to ring bologna. For that, we always try to pick up some Koegel's or Kowalski's ring bologna and viennas when we visit Michigan.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
We make our own pure pork sausage a couple of time a year. Grind up some Boston butts, stuff into casing and smoke. Awesome if I do say so myself.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're with you on the pre-packaged stuff. Wife can't have soy and almost all the pre-pack has soy now. Wouldn't it be great if there was an app for those of us who are Road Warriors that shows the locale of stores that grind their own?

Then there's the whole other issue: where to find fresh haggis!?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
There's a bunch of places with good German sausage here in New Braunfels. I don't know how the cost stacks up compared to what you're getting though. The better known are New Braunfels Smokehouse and Granzin's Meat Market. Walk-in costs are considerably cheaper than mail order. I last purchased 12# of beef and pork garlic sausage for about $45 for a July 4th cook out. Central Texas German sausage is the best!
Currently Between RVs

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
Slovacek Sausage None better.:p

rdjames
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
I'm having an old age crisis; don't like any of my sausage selections any more. Hillshire Farms and Johnsonville both taste like bad bologna.

I kind of like Holmes Smokehouse Original, Trace Adkins Original, and Kreutz Market BBQ in Lockhart. I sometimes order 25 of the Kreutz Mkt sausages, but their shipping is pretty fierce. Any ideas?

I agree with you on this post my friend, I can't take the Hillshire farms anymore!

cabranch47
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Double D to any of the "off the shelf) sausages. Just my opinion.
2009 Flagstaff HW 27SC
1999 Ford F150 XCab

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
burton's & chappell hill all grind their own.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhillmanor, you just reminded me of something. I haven't been to Kuby's Sausage House in north Dallas for years, but I bet they would make their own sausage. We go to Dallas every couple of months, so that would be ideal. I'll try some of their sausage next time I go.