Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

biscuits in a q1200?

henkelphoto
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys!

I live in the west where many of the campgrounds do not allow open fires due to the ever-present wildfire danger. My TT doesn't have an over or a convection microwave. So my only possibility of making biscuits are in an outdoor propane grill.

I'm thinking of buying a q1200 because it has a domed top and I'm thinking I could get a pizza stone (12" will fit) to cook biscuits on. But I don't know if the 8300btu output is hot enough to actually cook the biscuits.

Any thoughts?
17 REPLIES 17

henkelphoto
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so here's what I've come up with for now. I bought a 10" cast iron frying pan with a lid, then I bought a cast iron trivet.

To try it out, I put the pan on the stovetop, wrapped the trivet in aluminum foil and put into the frying pan. Then I put the the biscuits (made with bisquick for this experiment) on the trivet and put the lid on. I adjusted the heat to about medium-high and the biscuits came out pretty good.

One thing I found out though, you need to grease the foil to make sure the biscuits don't stick, something you don't normally do if making the biscuits in the oven.

I would have put up a photo, but I ate the biscuits before I thought about it!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
With no open or charcoal fires allowed, I use my Coleman 2 burner gas stove with a rectangular griddle than fits over both burners and a large frying pan top to cover the biscuits, pizza, or other breads that I cook on it. Heat is easier to control than using charcoal or an open flame fire. When open fires are allowed I prefer to cook meat over them using oaks blocks.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
We use an electric roaster oven to cook biscuits or anything else in.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Love it!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave, are those standard unsealed quarry tiles? Love your hacks and think I'll give some of them a try in my charcoal Weber Go Anywhere:c.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I cook on my boat quite a bit and biscuits or cinnamon rolls are a favorite breakfast item while I'm fishing. This is the set up that I use.

Weber gas grill with some ceramic briquettes for heat deflection:

Some standard floor tile of the grate:

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The trick with backing in a covered grill is to not let the flame directly contact the bottom of the baking pan. A cast iron griddle is a good heat deflector. Put extra think washers or nuts on top of it and then place you backing pan on that. You will have hot spots on the bottom of the backing pan, so if you can find some type of ceramic spacers, it would be better.

henkelphoto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! I didn't know that pizza stones could break under direct heat, good to know! As for using the dutch oven on the stovetop...I'd prefer to use it over an open fire, which we do when allowed!

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you put a Dutch Oven on top of a propane stove? You can adjust the heat that way & i bet it'll work great!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no reason that it would not work,I have the Weber Q220 and have made Cinnamon Rolls many times with mine I think biscuits would be no different.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I bet you it will cook biscuits fine. We cook our biscuits at home @ 350 degrees. I bet you that little dude will heat up to 350 degrees. I'd give it a shot.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
If you can cook it in an oven you can cook it in a grill. I bake biscuits, cakes, pizzas, etc. all the time in my grills. Either put them on foil or griddle or stone.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I found this Weber cooking methods link that will help you out.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
There's information on the internet on baking biscuits on a stove top. On the other hand, we have a Weber Q1200 and they get pretty hot with the lid down. You can get a griddle to fit them, which is what I'd do, then put your biscuits in a cast iron skillet on top of the griddle. This should prevent them from overcooking on the bottom or burning first. Or use a tin pie plate. You'll have to experiment with the setup. I don't think I'd use a pizza stone because I've accidently had them on the stove and lit the burner, and busted the stone in half. They don't tolerate direct heat which is what would happen in the Weber.