cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Chef stove

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
I`m thinking of upgrading my Coleman propne stove to either a 2 or 3 burner Camp Chef stove with 30,000 btu burners. Does anyone use these stoves and how do you like them. Also what accessories do you have, I would be interested in a griddle. Thanks for any input.
11 REPLIES 11

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a 3 burner Expedition with a cast iron griddle off of kijiji (Canadian version of craigs list) this past week with little use. Just finished installing electric ignition to all burners today, can`t wait to try it out this Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe we`ll take a wok with us camping next year for something different. Thanks again for all replies and hints.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
TY for the tips as well!!!

We have a 2 burner Explorer that I bought about a month ago, and will use for the first time this next w/e! Got it for $80 from Sports Authority on sale w/ a coupon. Would have liked the Pro for the fold up legs, but not for the extra money!

Bought a Tee for the propane tank to run the Coleman Roadtrip off the same propane tank.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
The trick is to work between Hi and Warm and adjust very slowly. This allows the flame to adjust to whatever exact amount of heat you want. I find it is a little more precise than the more standard low med hi method where sometimes low is too low or med is too high.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
bradyk wrote:
For the low and slow I learned a little trick we use all the time for either the cast or especially the light teflon pans. There is a warm setting after high. Most people just think it is good for real low but if you play with it in that area of the dial you can also really fine tune your heat. Heard about that on another forum and have been using that trick for a couple seasons now. The flame tamers basically do that anyways but for times when you don't try that and you will find you have a lot better control of the heat on that side of the dial and not just use the hi med low type settings.

Great idea: I'll try that.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responces, seems like everyone is happy with them. I`ll be keeping an eye out for any deals or wait till Costco brings them back after "Christmas season". Christmas trees and shorts just don`t go together, whats the rush with the holidays, put the stoves and BBQs back on the shelves. Thanks for the tip of using the warm setting. Happy camping.

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
For the low and slow I learned a little trick we use all the time for either the cast or especially the light teflon pans. There is a warm setting after high. Most people just think it is good for real low but if you play with it in that area of the dial you can also really fine tune your heat. Heard about that on another forum and have been using that trick for a couple seasons now. The flame tamers basically do that anyways but for times when you don't try that and you will find you have a lot better control of the heat on that side of the dial and not just use the hi med low type settings.
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also have the 2 burner for our longer trips. We also like the fact that the wind doesn't affect the output.

Similarly we noticed that low and slow isn't possible with this unit unless you set a flat bottomed cast iron pot on a griddle placed over the burner. That works for at home but for camping we just campfire cook for the low and slow.

Accessories? Essentially your accessories should be based on what you like to eat. If you eat a lot of BBQ and burgers, get the BBQ box. If you cook massive quantities of food for guests, then get accessories that help with that. Analyze how you prepare your favorite camp dishes and go with the accessories that work with that method so you don't overbuy items that you rarely or never use.

NickT wrote:
We have had a 2 burner CampChef for 5 or 6 years now.
Wouldn't leave home with out it!
Haven't found a wind strong enough to affect heat output....actually my only compliant if any is I can't turn it down far enough at certain times.
We have a single BBQ box which works fine.
I put a quick connect with a longer hose to run it on the house tanks.
Good piece of kit.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 3 burner pro for camping and I have the expedition 3 burner in the backyard cooking area. Both great units and would buy again but probably will never have too. I also bought the cases for them as well so theypack up and carry nicely in the back of the truck. If you get the pro model you get side tables on it and we find them real handy. Get a couple of the Flame Tamers as some pans is not too thick can cook a little fast. I do have the bbq for it as well but we tend not to use it and go with just our regular one. I have the carrying case for that as well which works nicely. Any other questions let me know as we are big users of their products.
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Same as the other guys, love it, we have the three burner expedition model, actually just got done doing our brisket has and eggs a few minutes ago, tonight, when we get done trail riding, we will do fajitas on it.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

enjoy
Explorer
Explorer
won't leave home without it

NickT
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a 2 burner CampChef for 5 or 6 years now.
Wouldn't leave home with out it!
Haven't found a wind strong enough to affect heat output....actually my only compliant if any is I can't turn it down far enough at certain times.
We have a single BBQ box which works fine.
I put a quick connect with a longer hose to run it on the house tanks.
Good piece of kit.
05 Hornet 275RLS
06 GMC Duramax