cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clean Uo Your Cast Iron Cookware

swcook
Explorer
Explorer
What a great way to rejuvenate your cast iron cookware.

http://www.coppercountryoutdoors.com/2016/11/cast-iron-pan-clean-up.html
7 REPLIES 7

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I keep bacon grease in a crock in the fridge. It's there for the cast iron and for cooking, but mostly for the cast iron. I clean after use, then heat the pan, add some bacon grease, let it heat to smoking, turn off heat, let it cool, then wipe any excess away.

Been working great for decades.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I remember my great grandmother saying that it was time to make bacon to bring back the cast iron frying pan. I make bacon in mine several times a year and let the grease sit for several hours. Do not not know if that really helps but I am still using the one she used for years before she died in 1947

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Cleaned up several cast iron pieces this week. Ran 3 through the oven cleaning cycle twice, then finished up with salt and a cut potato. The DO had just a bit of rust, so salt and potato cleaned it up nicely. Good rinse, then dry thoroughly. A thin application of melted Crisco on each, then place upside down in oven with foil on bottom rack. Heat to 400 degrees and cook for one hour. Turn oven off and let cast iron cool down.

Then I added more melted Crisco and seasoned them again. Now they're all looking great and ready for whatever we want to cook.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
That's the way I have always done it, so did my Dad and my Grandfather
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Clickable link
Bill and Joey the dog

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just place on oven rack, close door and then start 'oven cleaning cycle'

After complete......brush down/clean up with hot water. Wipe dry then a round of seasoning cycles.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
swcook wrote:
What a great way to rejuvenate your cast iron cookware.

http://www.coppercountryoutdoors.com/2016/11/cast-iron-pan-clean-up.html

Yep, the old ways work as well as the new. Elbow grease is part of it:W
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus