cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why EXTRA HOT chicken wings ?

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get it. 900,000 Scovil units or more....? Is it a macho, I can take more heat than you....thing ?

Is it an excuse to drink beer whilst eating ?

Do some people like to torture themselves ?

What's the deal ? I like spicy Indian, Thai, Mexican food...but up to a point.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
20 REPLIES 20

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Been eating hot stuff since I was just a little thing.
Have a very high tolerance for heat.
Frank's and Tabasco are great for eye drops because of the low heat.
I like the flavor of Tabasco so the lack of heat is OK.
I don't purposely go for really high heat but for flavor.
Now the local Sichuan place has learned that I need extra hot food and extra chili paste on the side or I can't feel the heat.

I prefer jalapenos flavor over the other hotter peppers.

Friends do try and kill me with Ghost and Scorpion peppers but have given up on that as it doesn't work on me.

So I like some things to be very hot because of my high tolerance just to feel the heat but flavor is more important.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
".....it gives you a high" said a sweating customer at a hot wings establishment.

A TV show this a.m. said it all started in Nashville, the early 1950's when a girlfriend of a Mr. Prince made his fried chicken with many hot spices to get even with him for....going out with other women.

He liked it and he started a restaurant Prince's Hot Chicken.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
you are so right Dave .. The more you eat hot the hotter you want I used to think Luisiana was hot... Killed all my taste buds LOL

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I used to be a spice wimp but I've seen my tolerance grow a lot over time just by trying "hot" to me food. I've just guessed that folks at the extreme ends have expanded their heat tolerance to the limit.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
I eat my Hot stuff in the privacy of my computer room so I'm not sure who i'm being maco to LOL,,, but Ya people always wanna tell me you ain't nothin less you eat a carolina .. Why would I want that. You eat it I'm good. Daves Insanity sauce go ahead to hot for me.
The hot sauce I made is a good dipping sauce for Hot wings and the like. Unbelievable good flavor, not hot just for the sake of being hot.
It won't send you running for the bathroom...umm unless you think black peppers to hot... like my youngest.lol

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I think there is a lot of "marketing" in Hot that is directed to the people playing the macho thing. Like most of the persons responding on this post, I love hot and spicy foods. Likely hotter than most like. I am to the point that when ever I have Mexican food, I always want two or three roasted jalepenos or serranos to enjoy with the meal. When ever I bbq there are always peppers on the grill too. I put Tabasco or something similar on most everything I eat except apple pie. But also, like has been mentioned on this thread, some people think because you like peppers or hot sauce they want you to try something so hot it nearly sends you to the emergency room. I have no part of that cause I have nothing to prove. You want to prove you can eat hotter stuff than me? Not a problem, I will concede and give you the victory and I will sleep better and feel better in the morning!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
It's all in what you like to me Franks hot is a flavored drink (it aint hot)
I grew Habaneros, Jalapenos an Ghost peppers an I traded some for Trinidad Scorpion peppers.

I made my own green Habaneros an Scorpion hot sauce and ya that's hot for even me. I made 2 batches one without Scorpions. It's great on most everything. Soup , stew , hot dogs Italian beef, Stuffed green peppers...My ham an cheese sandwich the list goes on.
But I love this flavor. It's a home run excellent taste then the hot sets in. But great flavor first.
An I got the recipe off the internet. I just made it with little different
peppers. Easy to make an fun to do.
I'll share if someone wants it.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Adding the proper amount of heat to a recipe can bring out the flavor. When I make BBQ sauce, my wife will tell me to "go light on the heat", and when she tastes the sauce she will look at me and say, "there's no flavor". And once again I explain that the heat brings out the flavor.

So, it's about balance. Not too much, but enough to compliment the other ingredients.

Best regards/
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I remember eating Thai food once with my girl friend. When you order Thai, its like 1 (mild) to 5 (screaming hot) and I am a 2 or maybe a 3, but she loved it hot We always shared what we ordered as it came family style and I remember something she ordered that was soooooo good and sooooo **** hot, I was in pure pain, but I kept on eating. That was the last time we shared.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Noel wrote:

Who needs an excuse to drink beer while eating, or anytime? :h
Its all about appearance. Thats why the "excuse" list is so long ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like spicy but not to where it hides the flavor of the food. Years ago a co-worker bragged it could not be too hot for him at a company chili potluck. He made a big deal of adding hot sauce without tasting it first, he paid.:B

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Noel wrote:
I don't get it. 900,000 Scovil units or more....? Is it a macho, I can take more heat than you....thing ?

Do some people like to torture themselves ?

What's the deal ? I like spicy Indian, Thai, Mexican food...but up to a point.

X2, I love peppers in a lot of food but not when it over powers it own flavor or the food it's used in. I do have an excellent recipe for wings with great taste and you adjust the heat as you want. It calls for Franks Original Hot Sauce. My whole family loves them a little cooler than I like but what the hell.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say it's necessarily a macho thing since I'm a woman and enjoy being one.
Spicy food is a part of my culture so I've grown up using progressively high Scoville chart toppers.

When I was about 8 years old I opened a jar of Scotch bonnet and Trinny scorpion pepper chow chow one of my grandmothers made and gifted to my mother. My sisters and I were expressly forbidden to even TOUCH the jar which of course made it that much more appealing. Opened and smelled it only and prolly received the equivalent of 3rd degree burns to my sinuses and fingers. Washed it down with another forbidden fruit, jarred maraschino cherries:S.

Ohhhhhhhh very young what will you leave us this time?

By the time I was in my twenties and Szechuan Chinese food was all the rage in NYC I astounded my ...out of culture friends by languidly eating the fiery peppers whole since they were a bit of a joke to my palette by that time.

I particularly like spicy foods when it's hot outside. Seems to cool me down. My granddaughter is a stone cold American and in this I feel sorry for her;).

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me all the hot stuff does is hide the flavor - not a bad deal on some people's cooking though...........

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.