cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crock pot in RV?

ctomallo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We are very new to RV'ing and have our first big trip coming up. We have a class C- 30 amp electric. If we are hooked up to electricity at a campsite, is it safe to leave the crock pot on low all day?

Thanks for any advice!
42 REPLIES 42

2Ambros
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the crock pot liners. Makes clean up super easy !
Just us & Molly the wonder-lab !
2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift
2006 Ford F150 4x4
1988 Sierra Cobra, 'Griswald'

We are way too adventurous to be ordinary!

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Use the crock pot and use the crock pot liners.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

sprint180
Explorer
Explorer
feel free to throw out some of these recipes.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
We mostly boondock but I put a 1500w inverter in this spring and we keep wanting to take a crockpot with us, just need to pack it.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
cyntdon2010 wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
We use crock pot in our RV a lot. Like a couple of others, we use it outside on a samall table, on a separate circuit
from our 30 amp service. Never had a problem. Enjoy!!!

you better stay nearby, we have watched Raccoons open coolers and take food out..
one used a stick to knock a hot dog off a Hot Grill.
there smarter than the average Bear.
Yessir, there is no such thing as a dumb animal......
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Prepare all the ingredients at home, ziplock bag them, and keep them in the fridge/freezer. Then in the AM, just throw it all in the Crock, set it and forget it until dinner.

I do this all the time, but we are in our fiver for at least 4 months, from May until Labor Day. There are 4 of us and we HAVE to fix dinner most nights. We can't afford, both financially and health-wise to eat out too much.

We have used our crockpots to fix Thanksgiving dinner - turkey in big one, twice baked potatoes in medium one (these are yummy), then fix green bean casserole in a small one. Other items are made on the stove. I have three different sizes and use whichever meets our needs for the meal and they ride on the cabinet above the sink. Out of the way and it's so high that I can't access it without a big step stool.

For ease of cleanup, I use crockpot liners. They have them at most supermarkets and at Walmart.

As far as too much trouble, it beats the heck out of preparing a meal after you have spent all day hiking, fishing, shopping or playing. Spend fifteen minutes in the morning assembling all the ingredients, turn on the crockpot and leave. 6-8 hours later, it's ready to eat.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
We use crock pot in our RV a lot. Like a couple of others, we use it outside on a samall table, on a separate circuit
from our 30 amp service. Never had a problem. Enjoy!!!

you better stay nearby, we have watched Raccoons open coolers and take food out..
one used a stick to knock a hot dog off a Hot Grill.
there smarter than the average Bear.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
RayUSMC wrote:
My wife nukes food in glass dishes because the jury is still out about chemical breakdown from cooking in plastic like those liners.

Some of the newer plastics are supposed to resist breakdown but like you said, not all the data is in. We feel okay about using the vacuum seal bags but then who knows?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:
Three words ... Crock.Pot.Pizza

Huge hit with almost everyone that has tried it...
Mouth watering... notepad and pencil close at hand... awaiting recipe.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Prepare all the ingredients at home, ziplock bag them, and keep them in the fridge/freezer. Then in the AM, just throw it all in the Crock, set it and forget it until dinner.

We do up meals ahead and nuke them in the RVs built in mw. Faster and saves the cargo spot for something else besides a kitchen gadget. My wife nukes food in glass dishes because the jury is still out about chemical breakdown from cooking in plastic like those liners.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crock pots use very little current. Couple Amps on high.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
We use crock pot in our RV a lot. Like a couple of others, we use it outside on a samall table, on a separate circuit from our 30 amp service. Never had a problem. Enjoy!!!
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sure, quick (prep & clean up) way to make great meals.

The only thing to watch is if it's hot and you are running the A/C and other heavy electrical loads. Make sure you aren't pushing over the 30amp cords limit (it's actually limited to 25amps even though the name says otherwise).

If it's hot we usually set up on a table outside, so the A/C isn't fighting the heat from the crock pot. This often allows us to use a secondary outlet on the pedestal so it's seperate from our 30amp outlet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
The lid on my crock pot locks so I use it outside on a small table. If you use liners in the crock pot there's not much clean up either.

uglybear11
Explorer
Explorer
the problem with a crock pot meal is that you smell it basically all day long. I can then eat the doors off the cabinets all day long. My wife is a heck of a cook and the aroma is all but too much to stand.....lol