cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dutch oven measurements

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using dutch ovens for several years so this might sound like a stupid question. Is the size measured at the top or bottom? I am considering trying some liners to simplify clean up when dry camping so I need to get the right size. Also, anyone who has used the liners can chime in with opinions. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have used foil on mine was for pineapple up side down cake, it makes it easier to flip over.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I don't normally line mine, but if I suspect a problem, like with a cobbler, I line mine with foil. It isn't perfect, but it does make clean up much easier.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I have used liners in my 8". They do make cleanup a breeze, but seem to slow the heat transfer. Things either cook slowly, or you have to use more charcoal underneath. If you have a good finish that my 8" doesn't, Iโ€™d just as soon not use them.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Lodge DO's are accurate at the top.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the info. I was pretty sure the top was the measurement but wasn't sure since it is not marked on them and any packaging was thrown away years ago. I normally do not use liners when we have hook ups but have done the foil thing on occasion when water might be scarce.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The preformed liners would be nice but they are expensive. I make mine with heavy duty aluminum foil.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Took some quick measurements on a couple of mine. The 12 is 12" at the top, and the 10 is 10 at the top. Both are less than that at the bottom. Hope that helps.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
The kind I am considering are formed aluminum liners on amazon.
liners

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a box of Lodge liners at wallys, but haven't used them yet. They're 20", and the box says they fit all Lodge camp Dutch ovens, which are deeper than regular. I'll just trim them, if necessary. One of the DO forums also suggests getting a roll of parchment paper (in aluminum foil section) and folding it to size.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard