cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting ready to use Dutch Oven for first time

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Lodge Dutch Oven brand new factory seasoned. My question is do I need to season it again before I use it or is the factory seasoning good to go?

The hard part is to determine which recipe to use because there are so many good ones out there!
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
6 REPLIES 6

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I will plan on seasoning it before I use it. I do have a timed oven so the idea to do it a bedtime is a good one.

Thanks again!
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely re-season the oven. For the first couple of times you use it, stay away from anything acidic (tomato based). I usually fry several batches of potatoes in ours before I start using it for everything else. I have ovens that are 50+ years old, and if you take care of them, they will last forever.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely season it again. You should season it 2 more times to be safe. Wipe it with vegetable oil and turn it upside down in the a 375-400 oven for one hour. Leave it in the oven until it's completely cool. The easiest way to do it requires an oven that has time bake. Set the oven for 1 hour at 400 with the DO in it at bedtime. Next evening repeat.
The complaints about the lack of proper seasoning are legendary. People who are new to CI buy a preseasoned one and assume they are ready, they aren't. The preseasoning is a great help however because it does provide the all important first seasoning which was difficult at times to do because the wax protecting the new CI was so tenacious.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
It is not recommended to use soap to wash cast iron. It gets into the pores in the iron. There are commercial cleaners available. Be sure to oil it good between uses.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
X2 what Francesca wrote. Wouldn't hurt to reseason it, but its not necessary. Happy cooking!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Just a light wash with mild soap and water to get dust off and it's good to go. Dry well if you're not using it immediately afterward.

A new oven may seem a bit "rough" even though preseasoned. This is normal. Repeated use is required to build up the smooth surface of carbon so prized in old, well-used Dutch ovens. With proper care, the oven will get even smoother over time.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien