cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volcano stove and Dutch ovens

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(only 2 posts come in search and don't address question) For those that like to cook around the fire and have a Volcano stove. How do you like it? Is it built sturdy enough for Dutch oven use most of the time? Legs look weak to me. Would you buy another?
My thinking might be faulty but with the propane option and use a griddle for stove top cooking and Dutch Oven cooking in base. Of course not at the same time.
Any ideas?
Thanks

couple short vids if Volcano stove is new to you, as it is me.
RV down under with stove and good looking bird, RV's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHfLGEMQHMU

http://www.volcanogrills.com/how-to-cook-with-the-volcano-

(company vids)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
6 REPLIES 6

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have one, but was curious after reading your post, and I see on the volcano website that if you order directly from them right now you get a free lid.....just thought I'd share.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Volcano and have come to really enjoy it. I have used it extensively for a year with both charcoal, propane and wood. The legs are sturdier than they look, I have cooked several large gumbos in my DO without any concern over the weight. I brought mine to the hunting camp last year to give it a workout and 3 of my buddies promptly ordered their own.
Now I have found that for me lump charcoal works better than briquets but that is just me, I guess I am just used to the lump when using my Big Green Egg.
Is it perfect, no but what I was looking for was a compact grill/stove that would not take up much room in the coach and give me great versatility, it does that.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cobb, but I just haven't been able to get comfortable with it. As far as the DO goes, I'm in the lid and under gang also, carefully spaced and numbered to achieve the temps I need.
For charcoal I like this.
Smoke and grill single
Atop this one for grilling and sometimes DO cooking.
Brinkman
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
When using my d.o. I use the lid and bottom coals method. The Volcano is a favorite with some cast iron chefs but when I saw one demo-ed, I realized it didn't fit my style of dutch ovening.

My lighter weight/small d.o fits nicely on my Cobb grill. The Cobb is my favorite because you can roast a chicken with only 8-10 briquettes as well as grill items without flare-ups. It's light weight, portable and handy for my style of outdoor cooking. It has gained in popularity around the cast iron chefs but again, it depends on what you cook and how you like to function in your outdoor kitchen.

Here's more info on the Cobb if you're interested in comparing the two.
http://www.cobbamerica.com/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the collapsible version for several years and have only used it once or twice. It's too heavy and awkward for me to handle (mostly the emptying part). I have the propane option and have never used it.

I would not buy this stove/grill again.

It VERY well made. Legs are not a problem - very sturdy.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
I own 1 and love it. If treated right they should last many years. I did build a box to hold mine and keep it all together as I have the propane option as well. Works great with a DO. Propane option is great when you have a large pot to heat. I have had mine for 3 years. My sons have had theirs for 2 years. Very versatile. The only limiting issue is the small grill area should you be grilling for a crowd.
Would I buy another? Yes.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy