cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric cooler vs rv fridge

Stini
Explorer
Explorer
It seems everyone is making space for electric coolers and making them easier to use with sliding shelves. Are they that much better then rv fridges https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-wheeled-coolers/ that wouldn't require a special shelf?
13 REPLIES 13

Denrclif
Explorer II
Explorer II

We're all about flexibility! We love our electric coolers  because we can take it anywhere, whether we're road tripping, camping, or just hanging out at the beach. It's super energy-efficient, so we don't have to worry about draining our batteries. And the sliding shelf makes it super easy to grab a cold drink without digging through everything.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
As the ONLY refrigerator space, it was way too small.
Go to know, thanks. My 9 yo Dometic gas/elec is still working just fine. It may outlive me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œIt seems everyone is making space for electric coolers...โ€

Not โ€œeveryone.โ€ Not me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Everyone? I don't know what an electric cooler is.

Expensive! The ones that I am thinking of can be used as a frig or freezer and cost about $1,500. 2 of my buddies use them in addition to the kitchen frig. They fit in the belly storage and mount to a sliding track.

Click here. You can get them at WallMart. Pick the size you want.

We had one, like posted in the Second row, first picture and coast about $100 at the time. We used it for over 15 years. Plugged into the cigarrette lighter of the car/truck and worked great. If the plug was reversed, it became a warmer, and came with it's own power supply 120 v AC to 12 v DC.

It finally died. We got a second one. It lasted about 5 years and died. We now have a residential refrigerator in our 5er, don't need another one now.

For us, the first one was the only refrigerator / cooler we had in our pop-up. First TT, we used it for drinks and kept it outside the camper and when traveling on the back seat of the vehicle. We used it for all kinds of activities, church gatherings, family reunions, and always when traveling when we did not have the trailer. They worked great in motel rooms, at grandma's house, and even in the back yard around the fire pit!

Well worth $150 for the box type that is a chest on it's back and operates like an upright refrigerator on it's end. Both coolers we had always kept everything cold ... or hot ... depending!

Highly recommend getting one if you are looking for additional refrigerator space. As the ONLY refrigerator space, it was way too small.

The cheap pezio electric coolers are barely able to impact the temperature inside. A quality cooler with a  block of ice will do better over a long weekend. 

I assume the OP is talking about the high end compressor based coolers. They work well but are expensive....but modern 12v rv compressor fridges will match them and give you a finished solution.  Not heard of anyone dumping their fridge for a  cooler. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
My friend has a 12 volt cooler in his storage bay outside. He uses it for cold drinks. It is fine to leave it running as long as you are plugged into shore power or driving down the road. If you are boondocking for any length of time, he generally will unplug it. It will drain the house batteries down if you leave it plugged in too long while there is nothing charging the batteries. They still use their normal fridge as they always have. I couldn't see someone using a small cooler in place of a normal fridge. It has no freezer to start with.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Expensive! The ones that I am thinking of can be used as a frig or freezer and cost about $1,500. 2 of my buddies use them in addition to the kitchen frig. They fit in the belly storage and mount to a sliding track.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 12v โ€œDanfoss compressorโ€ fridge?

- low power demand on 12v - operate properly on 12v while driving
- available in dual mode 12v dc 110v ac
- consistent cooling
- fast cool down when started
- do not need to be โ€œlevelโ€
- do not use propane / ammonia process
- are marine / transport industry quality so not $89.95.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
eHoefler wrote:
Electric cooler will only maintain a temperature 40* below the ambient temperature outside the cooler.
80* outside, 40* inside
100* outside, 60* inside

Not a good choice IMO.

You are describing the "thremo-electric" things. But I have seen compressor operated coolers, and they do a good job. I talked to one guy that had one, and a good ice box cooler. Had 3 jugs of salt water, kept 1 and frozen food in the power cooler, and rotated every day into the cooler for 2 days. Said he did not buy ice, had more freezer space, and no wet food.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe that made more sense before you ran it through google translate.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electric cooler will only maintain a temperature 40* below the ambient temperature outside the cooler.
80* outside, 40* inside
100* outside, 60* inside

Not a good choice IMO.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've not seen anyone on the forum talking about replacing their RV refrigerator with an electric cooler.
Most change to electric residential refrigerators.

I don't know what you mean by sliding shelves?

Will this post turn into an advertisement for electric coolers?