cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

microwave/convection oven combo

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Dometic combo unit. Does anyone else have trouble getting bread or biscuits or rolls to bake properly with their convection oven? It seems to cook these items so fast that the insides and bottoms are still uncooked, while the tops and outsides are golden and done. If I keep baking until the bottoms and insides are done, the tops and outsides sre burned.
14 REPLIES 14

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Can I ask you folks what you are talking about - cooking on the rack? Does that mean you don't use a pan or sheet? How does that work - doesn't stuff fall through?

Ours is a wire rack with legs about 2 inches long that sits on the turntable. Setting you biscuit pan, cornbread pan, etc. on the rack allows it bake evenly. Without the rack it is like setting your pan on the bottom of your oven, thus will not bake evenly.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Yes use the metal rack with the little legs, set right on the turntable, in the convection but be sure and take the rack out when using the microwave. Also set the temperature 25 degrees below what the recipe calls for. Also watch the bake time, could be more or less time then the recipe calls for.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has a setting for just Convection - Convection/Microwave combines or just Microwave. I never use the combination setting. Straight convection will bake more like your regular oven.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
^Thanks. It's because it's also a microwave... I get it!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
pasusan wrote:
Can I ask you folks what you are talking about - cooking on the rack? Does that mean you don't use a pan or sheet? How does that work - doesn't stuff fall through?

The rack is simply a wire rack (or in some cases a thin metal pan) on short legs that sits on the turntable to hold your cooking pan off the bottom. It lets the hot air circulate under the food to cook thoroughly on the bottom as well as the top and sides. It is needed when using convection. But not when microwaving.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I was upset when our class A turned up without a real oven. But, after using the whirlpool convection oven it came with, I am extremely happy and will not have a propane oven in any other rv I buy. I always use the rack for baking and everything turns out perfectly. Breads, biscuits, cupcakes, cakes, pizza dough - I bake more now than I did when we had a s&b.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a bit of a learning curve with the micro-convection combo units but with practice most foods come out wonderfully. We love using our Sharp combo unit in our rig but at first results were not as good as we anticipated. After a few tries we figured out how to use it and find it is a great addition to our rig's gally.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here - everything has turned out great on the racks. I do turn the temp down 25 degrees.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Ours cooks great as long as we use the wire rack.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have cooked bisquits, rolls, and even cornbread in ours in the RV and the house and they come out fine. Practice with different temps. And as noted above, they do need a wire rack under the food.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My DW bakes better biscuits and rolls in convection oven than I ever got in conventional oven. They come out perfect. My biscuits used to be burned on the botton and baked on top. Now she wants convection oven in our S&B.

You need to use racks in convection oven otherwise won't cook on bottom.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
I will try lowering the temps. Thanks.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My book says to lower the oven temp by 25 degrees or so.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter