cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Outdoor Dutch Oven Cooking

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recipes (and/or) links to recipes. Prefer the number and placement of coals with the recipe! Thanks In Advance!
24 REPLIES 24

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the chart Vintage 465! Very helpful Much appreciated.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I need to keep temp from changing much I will remove and replace coals as a set, when ash on the coal gets thick. Lots of heat left to put under another oven/pan where temp is less critical.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 10" Dutch Oven. Below....with any luck is a chart that should get you going in the right directions. There are many variables in D/O cooking and not a lot of "constants". I think the best way to learn D/O cooking is to find one thing and perfect the cooking of that one thing and then move to the next one. Biscuits is an easy start to learn. I've found with biscuits, after 20 minutes, take the coals from the bottom and put them on the top to minimize the cooking on the bottom and brown the top. The Scout's Outdoor Cookbook" is a real good hand book to get you started.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Another point regarding number of coals .. The number they give you works great for the first load of coals ... After that, it's a bit hit or miss, since you have a combination of fresh coals and worn coals. Just get a feel of what the coverage looks like, then when replacing coals, match that coverage. After the first load of coals, the number doesn't make much sense.

Also, if possible, sweep off the ash between coal refreshes, since the ash acts like an insulator.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because space is a premium in an RV I bought one of these both for grilling and doing DO cooking. My 12 inch ovens (regular and extra deep) fit inside perfectly. It blocks cold winds as well as rain. Perfect for maintaining better temp control when we do our winter camping. Good idea for beginners too.

Weber Smokey Joe
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charcoal formulas are good in the sense that it gives newbies a place to start so they can get over the fear of using DOs. Way too many of them sit around because people are afraid to start.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Google Dutch oven gathering
You will have most of your questions answered
Magnusfide on this forum is active on that group. Search him and read those posts.

Yep. Posted a lot of info here on the forum in the past. Just do a search for Dutch Oven and you'll find my posts.

You can convert traditional recipe temps to the number of coals on top and bottom and the size of the DO. Of course it's as much art as a science. Those numbers change when you have a cold wind blowing or high humidity.

Here's a newer link to a pdf guide for DO temps that includes options for roasting a broiling:

Temp Charts and Coal Placement
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can make anything in a Dutch. You can modify regular recipes.
Cooking with wood is easy with some practice.
At first everyone applies too much heat burns food.
Trust the iron.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Google Dutch oven gathering
You will have most of your questions answered
Magnusfide on this forum is active on that group. Search him and read those posts.