cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pork Loin into Canadian Bacon

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my pork loin this morning on sale at Cash & Carry for $1.77/lbs. The plan is to make some Canadian bacon or also known as back bacon. The first step is to trim it up. There is a fatty skin layer and then a sinew tissue layer. The fatty skin layer comes off rather easily.

Sinew layer trimmed and loin ready to be split into 2" X 2" sections.

Strips in the brine bucket.

Meat will sit in brine a minimum of 48 hours.

Brine recipe:
1 gallon of water
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
8 teaspoons instacure powder #1
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup maple syrup

I simmered in 1 quart of water until salt & sugars are dissolved and then allow to cool. Mix with 3 quarts of cold water and the brine is ready. Put meat in the brine, weigh down with a plate if necessary and refrigerate.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
21 REPLIES 21

Sportsman2505qs
Explorer
Explorer
I make the Peameal Bacon. Peameal Bacon Pork loin 1/2 teaspoon of Morton Tender Quick per pound of pork 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per pound of pork Mix together and rub into pork loin Place loin in a plastic bag and seal. Refrigerate and allow to cure for 3-5 days Remove from cure and allow to soak in cool water for 30 minutes Pat Dry Then roll in corn meal.( I put corn meal on wax paper and roll. Depending on how big the pork loin is will determine how much corn meal.) Then slice and fry
2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same to ours, but then I cut off the curly bit in the front of the loin pic so it is just pure meat, no fat. Then I roll the front and the back with string into rolled bbq roasts, and cut the center into about eight thick pork chops, totally lean and over an inch thick.

The cut off piece gets the meat cut off and turned into pork bits for a stir fry. Nothing of value is wasted.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Nice knife work!
Also waiting for the finished product:).

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice!

I find a really sharp filet knife is quite good at removing thin layers of fat and such.

BTW, you *ARE* going to post "after" pics, right? Of the smoked meat, not the satisfied belly ๐Ÿ˜„

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Then we smoke it

Have no doubt, these will see smoke!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
We do our own also except we usually use tenderloins, and ours sit in the stuff for ten days. Then we smoke it
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus