cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane source for portable grill

dad2aprincess
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable two burner Sportsman's Grill. The instruction book is very specific that you must use a 20 gallon propane tank with specific measurements. My RV has a 28 gallon tank with a grill connection. I'm trying to understand why I cannot simply connect my portable grill to the onboard RV propane tank connection. Am I missing something, or would it be OK to use the grill connection provided on the RV?
2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38DBT
6 REPLIES 6

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
As with the above post, I suspect they are trying to say you can't use 1 pound bottles.

Bigger than 20 pounds won't make any difference.

Refillable propane tanks are also available in 5 and 10 pound sizes. Have used both for appliances threaded for disposable 1# tanks (hose has male disposable on one end and standard male refillable tank on the other end).

As long as you have the proper hose and DON'T have 2 regulators, just about any appliance can be operated off of any disposable or refillable.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with the above post, I suspect they are trying to say you can't use 1 pound bottles.

Bigger than 20 pounds won't make any difference.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, you can use the little propane tanks sold at camping supply stores.
The problem is that they will work for a short time but quickly lose pressure.
The flame goes low and requires that one keep turning it up.
That's probably why the instructions require a 20 lb tank - they should state it as a minimum 20 lb tank.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

therink
Explorer
Explorer
If the grill already has a regulator, you simply need to remove it and then use a quick connect hose to hook to the RV quick connect.
The RV quick connect line is already regulated by the regulator at the RV tank supply.
You can't have two regulators on the same supply source.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most grills require high pressure. Verify that your rig's connection is high pressure.
If the grille has a regulator it requires high pressure. Some can be bypassed and use low pressure.
The Sportsman's Grille on internet looks t be a high pressure style which any standard LP tank would work.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why the manual would say that. The hose connections are the most important. We've connected to 5 lb up to 20 lb tanks. The worst I'd think that would happen is it won't work. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I'm wrong here, I'm sure others will correct me :B
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend