cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Oven

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
I have made a New Year's resolution to learn to use the oven in our 5'er. I have used an RV oven once and my biscuits burned on the bottom. My toaster oven gets used a lot but I would like to free up that counter space.

There seem to be a few different solutions:

1. Stoneware or tiles over the burner to dissipate the heat. I worry about this because people have reported the stoneware breaking.

2. Using an airbake pan. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be placed over the burner like the stoneware.

3. Putting foil on the bottom rack, setting that right above the burner and then using the top rack for baking. I only have one rack so this won't work.

I would like to know how everyone else successfully bakes in their oven and how to broil items. We love cheese bread and garlic bread so this is a must.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax
33 REPLIES 33

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Lol...I have to use ALL the above suggestions. I turn the temp 25 deg below what recipe calls for, I have a pizza stone (broken) on the burner shelf, AND I use a cookie sheet below the dish. Finally can bake without burning.

Now can anyone tell me why they don't have this age old problem fixed (no microwave/convection is not the answer) and why don't the build them with the electronic starter like the burners??? Come on, they can put a man on the moon........
I put in a BBQ electronic lighter for the oven and top burners instead of the mechanical spark generator furnished. No more kneeling, matches or "Where's the propane lighter?" DW loves it.

I think most of the burning issues (no pun intended) are due to oven calibration issues. Turn it down or use an oven thermometer.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a single burner cast iron griddle. It won't break and it's a versatile multitasker as a stovetop griddle, a campfire/grilling griddle, in addition to helping with even heating in the oven. Here's one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E1WA7Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?qid=1456422448&sr=1-19π=SX200_QL40&keywords...
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
After a similar problem with burning I found that the actual temperature in the oven was nearly 40 degrees hotter than indicated.

We could have had it calibrated but we just turn the temperature down the appropriate amount.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
The only things we ever broil are cheese bread and garlic bread and I think they will fit under there. I'm excited to give it a try.

Do normal sized cookie sheets fit in the oven or do I need to get smaller ones? How wide is the typical oven? Our 5'er is up at our lot so I can't measure it myself.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
davosfam wrote:
Thank you for all the advice! How do you broil in it? Do you put the pan under the flame on the bottom of the oven?

Yes, this is exactly what I do. A cake pan just fits. I use this method to finish baking the top to catch up with the bottom. Will definitely try to lower the temp too.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
Now can anyone tell me why they don't have this age old problem fixed (no microwave/convection is not the answer) and why don't the build them with the electronic starter like the burners??? Come on, they can put a man on the moon........

Because "they" don't bake stuff in an RV. LOL.
lolol. Yeah, that was my duhhhh question of the day. 🙂
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In my oven there is not enough clearance under the flame for a pan and the meat. We simply cannot broil.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
davosfam wrote:
Thank you for all the advice! How do you broil in it? Do you put the pan under the flame on the bottom of the oven?

Yes, It's also a good way to make toast.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
amandasgramma wrote:

Because "they" don't bake stuff in an RV. LOL.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Lol...I have to use ALL the above suggestions. I turn the temp 25 deg below what recipe calls for, I have a pizza stone (broken) on the burner shelf, AND I use a cookie sheet below the dish. Finally can bake without burning.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We use the oven almost every day and it works fine just the way it is. Turn the temp down just a little and use the right color pan for what you are cooking.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also, a propane flame is a fast, hot, source of heat, not all like an electric oven.

Put the oven on 10 or 15 minutes early and allow it to come up to temp. and cycle a time or two BEFORE you put anything in it to cook.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Pampered Chef pizza stone and it has never cracked. And X2 on reduced temperature.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We have a pizza stone. And yes, it cracked, but it we still use it. It does the job of dissipating the direct heat. One thing I like to do with biscuits is turn them over 1/2 way through baking. Then they get nice an brown on both sides. They taste perfect with sausage gravy that way.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)