cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soup Time

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Love soup in the winter and found one that I really enjoy and it's so quick and versatile.
Dirty Little Secret Soup
5 or 6 cups of broth, (we use veggie, but chicken would be good also)
2 - 1 lb bags of mixed veggies, (we use the California mix but its what you like really)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans of beans, (Great Northern or what ever you have in the pantry)
4 cloves minced garlic, (actually I just smash it and skin it and toss it in)
1 teasp dried basil, 1/2 teasp dried oregano
A shake or two of Tabasco sauce.
Salt and Pepper, cant have to much pepper

Then check refrig for any leftovers, pasta, diced potatoes, corn, rice, chicken, zucchini, wrinkly cherry tomatoes, doesn't matter, toss it in.
Whoops, directions: open and dump in pan, heat and serve.
Quick, fast, low cal, tasty. Makes enough for family of 4 with some leftover for breakfast the next morning.
32 REPLIES 32

jwduke
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one we like, and can be made now, to enjoy later.

Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup

Ingredients:

1 30oz. bag of frozen diced hash browns
1 32 oz box of chicken broth
1 can of cream of chicken soup (10 oz)
1 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz, not fat free)
3 oz bacon bits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Put the potatoes in the Crockpot. Add in the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and half of the bacon bits. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.

Cook on low for 8 hours or until the potatoes are tender.

An hour before serving, cut the cream cheese into small cubes. Place the cubes in the crock pot. Mix a few times throughout the hour before serving.

Once the cream cheese is completely mixed in, it's ready to serve.
Top with cheddar cheese and some additional bacon bits.
'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Boy my mouth is squirting and I've copies all of the recipes for future use.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
welove2drive wrote:
We've made some really tasty Chicken Soup using a rotisserie chicken.

Also my favorite for my chicken pot pie.

Many years ago we picked up a George Foreman whole chicken "cooker". It will produce a rotisserie chicken in an hour with very little prep. One advantage seems to be it's more consistent than what we have found in rotisserie chicken when it comes to moist meat..
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We like to make crockpot soups. Saw some prepackaged veggies for caldo in our local store, and decided we could do better.

Fried up some salt pork and dropped into the crockpot, then added:

1/4 green cabbage, chopped
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk with top leaves, thinly sliced
3 small red potatoes, diced
1 corn on the cob, cut into thirds
1 can Rotel (tomatoes with chilis)
Chicken stock until it looked right
2 bay leaves

Cooked on high 6 hours or so, then added minced garlic and cooked another 30 minutes.

You can play with the seasonings to your own taste.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
welove2drive wrote:

Also my favorite for my chicken pot pie.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Having a soup pot luck at work today so I might be able to taste test some new keeper recipes.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
GREEN CHILI CHICKEN SOUP

Ingredients:
4 - skinless & boneless chicken breasts (diced)
2 - potatoes (peeled (or not) & diced)
1 - cup sliced mushrooms (either fresh or canned)
1 - can cream of mushroom soup
1 - 8 oz can diced green chilis
1 – cup Herdez green chili salsa
1 1/2 cups yellow onion (diced)
2 - tbsp chicken base
2 - pints chicken stock (either canned or fresh)

Place all ingredients in a 10 qt stockpot, (at least); add water to cover; bring to a rolling boil; reduce heat to simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours; salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.

Quesadillas make a great accompaniment with this soup.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
My DW made butter squash soup yesterday. I am not a big fan of squash but I can't wait till she (or me) makes it again. It was FABULOUS!!!

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
We fix dinner every week (for the last 4 years) for our Bible study group. Since it is a large gathering (20-30 people) my husband usually makes a homemade soup. The favorite seems to be either Loaded Baked Potato or Pasta Beef. I was really surprised by how much I like the Pasta Beef, especially because I don't like tomato soup.
Tomato soup
Ground beef or turkey(browned)
Penne pasta (prepared as directed on package)
Heavy whipping cream
Onion (sauteed)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Add all these ingredients to a crockpot and let simmer until ready to serve.
Amounts of ingredients are dependent on how many you are feeding. We use a full size roasting pan to simmer our soup.

Hope someone tries this recipe. I have been reading this thread and getting hungry. Ready to try some.

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
BajaLinda wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Oh, I have the best pazole recipe but this is by memory. To a large soup pan, sauté a chopped onion and a couple cloves of minced garlic. When translucent, add 5 - 6 cups of chicken broth. Add two boneless chicken breasts, and two meaty ham hocks, and a large can of hominy (while or yellow) boil for about a half hour to 45 minutes until the hocks are falling apart. Add salt and pepper. Cool some, slice the chicken into bite size pieces and pull any meat off the hock.
While the chicken and hocks are boiling, fill bowls with condiments. You will need 1 bowl for each. Slice limes, cubed cream cheese, chopped red peppers, iceburg lettuce, fried tortilla chips, green onions - including the tops. (Don't let the lettuce turn you off, its great)
I think this recipe came from and old Sunset Mexican Food Recipe.
In Mexico we use raw cabbage instead of lettuce. sounds really good

Off the subject, but use cabbage on my burgers instead of lettuce

BajaLinda
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Oh, I have the best pazole recipe but this is by memory. To a large soup pan, sauté a chopped onion and a couple cloves of minced garlic. When translucent, add 5 - 6 cups of chicken broth. Add two boneless chicken breasts, and two meaty ham hocks, and a large can of hominy (while or yellow) boil for about a half hour to 45 minutes until the hocks are falling apart. Add salt and pepper. Cool some, slice the chicken into bite size pieces and pull any meat off the hock.
While the chicken and hocks are boiling, fill bowls with condiments. You will need 1 bowl for each. Slice limes, cubed cream cheese, chopped red peppers, iceburg lettuce, fried tortilla chips, green onions - including the tops. (Don't let the lettuce turn you off, its great)
In Mexico we use raw cabbage instead of lettuce. sounds really good
Linda

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
It must be in the air. I bought a bag of 15 bean soup beans yesterday and smoking off some ham today to put in the pot.

Was that Bob's Red Mill mix? I bought one recently and danggggg it's good:).

We have one here that is really good, but it isn't Bob's it's Hurst Hambeens. We've been acquainted with it for years. Good stuff.
My left over pulled pork goes in the freezer for beans. It's amazing how little it takes, about 1/2 cup, to pit a nice smoky flavor in a pot of beans.

Okay, you guys made me go dig through the trash to find the package. LOL! It was the one SWMO mentioned.

Here I smoke the ham scraps

Out of the smoke and ready to put in the pot

And like BBT's soup, a bowl of hearty soup