cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

am radios

jag70r
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone recommend a good portable am/fm radio that I can wire into my existing roof antenna on my 5th wheel? Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another option for a AM Antenna.
Search "select-a-tenna" on Ebay.
I have one. They work real good. Simple to use.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I use Wi-Fi to listen to AM radio stations 2,000 miles away. I Heart Radio is one option.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO.. and here is why.. the antenna on the roof is VHF/VHF UHF with the FM band blocked out (It is between vhf low and vhf high)

AM is either LF or HF (on da border)

Or in other words.. That Batwing is designed for six meter band up through band lengths measured in centimeters.

AM is the 300 meter band. The proper antenna is 150 meters long (two 75 meter sections) A meter is a bit more than a yard.

What you can do with any AM portable.....

Take a LONG wire (Say 75 meters) and hook one end to a ground rod.. Wrap 2x around radio.. Hook other end to a line and on the other end of the line (Nylon roap works well or even anchor line, NON WIRE CENTER) Put a couple pounds of weight (I use a concrete thing) on the free end of the line and toss over trees.

That's how to make an AM radio antenna connect to any AM radio.

That said.. I can do AM band with my kenwood TS-2000 ham rig.. It does connect to an antenna on my roof (A 1/2 inch copper pipe that runs the length of the roof) but it is not portable. And the cost is a tad....High.. Works well though

Normally I use it with a 80-100 feet of long wire. here it's 50 foot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Superadio. They were made in GE, RCA and Radio Shack brands. You can probably find one on EBay. Some models did have external antenna connections. Google Superadio and you can find much information.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had mine since 2008 - no problems with it and mine is the older CC RADIO PLUS model. I use it just about everyday doing something even here around the house.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
My CC Radio has 2 screws on the back for connecting an antenna.
The older model radios had problems with the digital readout and tuning,
Hopefully the new model is better.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best portable radio I ever used was the C CRANE model CC RADIO PLUS available from AMAZON... It may have been replaced with the CC PLUS RADIO-2E now...

Runs on four D-CELLS and has a long use time between batteries. Very Excellent AUDIO quality... Also includes NOAH WX ALERT RADIO as well...

Get the nice carry case also...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS