cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Else Using Yandex Browser?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've been experimenting with a number of browsers lately, especially those that offer good security. I'm now using Yandex, and so far, I like it. The browser is pretty strong on security, particularly when using public (unsecure) hotspots. Previously, I was using one of the mainstream browsers (Edge or Chrome)and connecting with a portable hotspot when accessing critical sites like banking, etc. Now, with Yandex, I feel I can eliminate the portable hotspot, which will save me some data usage charges.

Some browsers I've recently experimented with: Opera, Comodo Dragon, and Avira Scout. They all seemed pretty good, too. I think I'll continue with Yandex as my browser of choice.

At first, I was a little hesitant about using it, since it's of Russian origin, but that shouldn't matter.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
20 REPLIES 20

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps you guys could use Google to settle this dust-up...?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:
Knowing a bit about IT doesn't make an IT Professional does it?

IT training and going through a battery of tests for certification is not an overnight endeavor.

Yes, we do have a lot of "experts" along with a horde of clowns.

None of which has anything to do with what you said- sheesh!

Nevermind- life's too short.
-- Chris Bryant

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing a bit about IT doesn't make an IT Professional does it?

IT training and going through a battery of tests for certification is not an overnight endeavor.

Yes, we do have a lot of "experts" along with a horde of clowns.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
happycamper002 wrote:
The Tor Browser is based on a ten year old technology. Most mainstream browsers come with 256 bit encryption. Tor only comes at a highest 64 bit.

Most countries don't even use Tor because of incompatibility issues.

No offence, but you have no clue as to what you are talking about, or what Tor is.

Your lack of information is making you look like a whippersnapper.

Are you an IT Professional?

And if you are, what is your certificate number?

None of which has anything whatsoever to do with what you said. Tor browser is built on the latest Firefox esr release- along with the full array of encryption offered. I would say that's a modern browser, if you don't think so, good for you.

FWIW, I know a bit about IT, don't use windows, do run my own servers, been online since dialing in on my Tandy model 100 connecting to remote deskmate.
-- Chris Bryant

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
happycamper002 wrote:
The Tor Browser is based on a ten year old technology. Most mainstream browsers come with 256 bit encryption. Tor only comes at a highest 64 bit.

No offence, but you have no clue as to what you are talking about, or what Tor is.

Your lack of information is making you look like a whippersnapper.

Are you an IT Professional?

And if you are, what is your certificate number?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:

-- Chris Bryant

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I like to mess with the NSA and use the Tor Browser- actually Firefox esr with privacy enhancements, including onion routing.
-- Chris Bryant

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
If I were so worried about a website like this one being unsecured then I wouldn't use it! I've been on here for maybe 10 years and haven't had a problem! Is rthe Sky Falling??

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
When you log in to RV.net, you can't expect security to be on your side.

This website does not support encryption on any page that you might want to have access on.

The site also does not support ownership information although it may say Camping World LLC.

Unlike banking institutions, Wall Street, Health Providers etc., RV.Net is wide open for all the world to see anywhere you are. Someone might quip "I login with my password so it must be secure" wrong.

Security is a two way street. A webmaster can have all security apps at his/her disposal but if the site being visited is not secured, the effort would be useless if encryption is not supported.

The closest you can provide for a marginal security is to use a browser that is customizable. Firefox and Chrome that I've tried can be customized. Other browsers may have the capability, but you have to tell it what you want it to do.

For example, Firefox can be customized by checking the logo just before the RV.net address. If it shows a globe image you are not secured if it shows a padlock then you are secured.

You can change the settings by clicking the image and navigate through the settings routine.

Not a panacea, but it will offer some level of security.

Big box institutions have enhanced security measures that the user won't have much to mess with their browsers. . .it is also for their own protection.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'll stick with a known "secure" browser (this week) vs. one I've never even heard of.

Nobody cares about these no-names.. I want something that if there are leaks discovered that it's on the 6:00 news
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well, I've had second thoughts. I'm done playing with different browsers. I've uninstalled Yandex and reinstalled Chrome PLUS Express VPN. I think I'll be OK with that combo. ๐Ÿ™‚

Other browsers I've tried recently: Opera, Epic, Vivaldi, and others, whose names I've forgotten.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using "Duck Duck Go" for a few years. Don't know where it's from but it encrypts everything coming and going and says it does not keep a history.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I have been playing with Brave. So far it is way faster than FireFox which I have been using. It was developed by a guy that worked on FF and it is very easy to set up.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, looks good.
I have to use WiFi Hotspot with limited bandwidth when I'm at the cottage. Every bit helps.

It keeps count.
After checking out two web sites it had blocked 39 ads and 16 trackers.