cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AV/Security Software

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 HP Pavilion 32 bit PC running Vista Home Premium. My current AV software is 2013 Kaspersky Internet Solutions...and it's due to expire in a few days.

First... I have no idea how to renew this myself and it was added by Staples last year. I could take the tower to Best Buy and have them clean it and add a new Kaspersky.

Or... I could buy a disc and have a local computer person come by my home and install on both computers (DH's AV expires too!).

The local guy says just wait till August when the new version comes out and then do the Kaspersky...and he'll show me how. Says the current K will continue to protect the PC's..it just won't update itself. Is that true??

Or...should I get a completely different AV/Security software?

I know this has probably been asked before... so please forgive me. I've just always relied on the Geeks to take care of the machines.

Thanks
cts
21 REPLIES 21

docj
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:

Is it true that even when the Kaspersky expires...it will continue to protect my computer... it just won't update untill I get the 2014?

cts

That's what I tried to explain in my previous post; yes, what you say is true, but you can renew now and then download the 2014 version for free when it is released.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
AV programs have their ebb and flows. One utility might be tops this year for catching malware, then near the bottom of the pack six months from now as malware makers code just to get around said program.

I use MSE because it is licensed at no charge. I also use Malwarebytes because it blocks by IP address, so malicious stuff doesn't even get a chance to get to the machine.

I use a virtual machine or Sandboxie sandbox. That way, there is a barrier between a potentially compromised Web browser and the rest of my system.

Finally, I use a different Web browser in a different VM/sandbox that I use for general Web browsing. This way, if the browser gets compromised, it will have a hard time getting to the banking info.

I have been experimenting with having a VM server, and using a tool that makes the Web browser on the remote virtual machine look like just any other program running locally. This will go far in isolating damage should a browser get compromised.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:
I used to recommend MSE, too, but I've read several reports that it's not very effective.

the problem with ANY AV/anti-spyware suite is you can never know what it doesn't detect until it's too late. these programs operate just like a drug screening...you have to look for a problem in order to detect it. this is why reliance on a single product is unwise. I utilize a multi-layered approach with several suites and even then I can never be 100% sure that my system is clean.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:
I used to recommend MSE, too, but I've read several reports that it's not very effective.

The worst malware/viral attack I had was while using MSE. Never again. That's why I have Kaspersky.

Is it true that even when the Kaspersky expires...it will continue to protect my computer... it just won't update untill I get the 2014?

cts

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will hear many opinions but I don't believe that you need to be paying for an AV at all. AVG free is an excellent AV with an excellent reputation. I use MSE now for a year or 2 and like it just as well. These are the 2 top free services but I suspect there are others as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

docj
Explorer
Explorer
I use Kaspersky myself and like the way it operates. There is no reason you need to pay someone to renew your Kaspersky subscription nor is it necessary to wait until August since as a subscriber you have the right to get the upgrade when it comes out.

Just click on the Kaspersky icon that is in the tray on the bottom right of your screen (or click on the program icon on your screen). When it maximizes you will see the word licensing in the lower right corner. Click on that and on the screen that is displayed there will be a link for "buy license renewal". Click on that and follow the prompts.

Once you have renewed the license you can go back to the Kapsersky website later this year and download the new product if you wish. I often don't bother to do that, the year to year differences are more marketing hype than anything else. The important thing is having a current licensed copy.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels