cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best, most accurate GPS

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
I have loved my Garmin Nuvi for 14 years, but he is getting senile. Lots of "whoopsies", sending me on weird round-a-bout ways, "shortest distance" actually being longer, the "avoidance" feature sometimes own't work, dead battery. So I went to Walmart and bought a new one. Luckily it had a return policy. I hated the visuals (way to much info on display), but the worst thing was when I asked "fuel on my route" it told me the next gas station was 150 miles down the road. What??!! I have a small gas tank and use this feature all the town. When I asked my old Garmin it told me there were 4 stations within 150 miles along my route. Can someone please tell me of a GPS that they recommend? Consumer Report is not reviewing them anymore. And Amazon is only selling them through third party vendors.
23 REPLIES 23

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't concern yourself with that post. It's simply wrong.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
US constellation isn't super accurate over North America for obvious reasons.

Those reasons aren't obvious - so inquiring minds want to know, what are the reasons (that aren't so obvious)?
Bob

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
What you need to do is go to the Garmin site support section, and scroll down to map and software updates. You will need a male standard USB/male micro USB cable to connect your Nuvi to a PC. Download the software, plug in the Nuvi. The software will recognize the Nuvi and walk you through the update process. Expect it to take something like 2 hours to download and update the maps.

Updated software and maps should solve a lot of problems.

Take me about 5 minutes with my Comcast connection
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Most accurate is probably a cell phone for an Asian market. It'll have a GPS chip that will receive from the non-US constellations. The Russians, Chinese and the EU all have their own GPS birds now. Typically the US market phones only receive US and Russian constellations.

WHAT? Are you off your meds? The US GPS is SUPER accurate. My Google Maps app actually shows me in the correct RV space here in Houston. Your post is nonsense.

Cell phone provided Google maps get their feed and your location via triangulation through the provider cell sites.

GPS are direct from earth roaming satellites, thus, Global Positioning Satellites.

No, that hasn't been the case for years.

Every cell phone you buy has a GPS built in and Google Maps will happily use the satilite system (you can't turn it off and Google Maps has to have permissions). It can refine the accuracy using cell towers but really, unless you are doing survey work, the accuracy is plenty good enough and will work fine even away from cell towers. The only downside is starting a route outside of cell service but you can download map areas and really getting outside cell coverage is getting increasingly rare.

You can also download offline mapping applications (many for free) that need no cell coverage once loaded.

We have an old Nuvi but when it dies, we will switch to the cell phone. Mostly still using it because it has lots of personal destinations already programmed and too lazy to transfer them.

Live traffic conditions and incident notifications on Google maps is great. Usually if looking for a gas station or restaurant, have the wife pull it up on her phone.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
Garmin nuvi 2589.
Voice command, LMT, "up ahead" feature tells you fuel/bathroom/food along your route, super easy to update with Garmin Express. Uses 4 Square for 6 million POIs. Has upgrade options like fuel economy routing, and backup cameras.
What's not to like?
Sadly, it's been mothballed, but you can still find them on Amazon for around $229. Got mine on sale from Best Buy 2 years back for $179.

Garmin RV-660LMT has the same features plus separate car or RV routing functions and a POI of Camps & RV Parks.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bill.Satellite wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Most accurate is probably a cell phone for an Asian market. It'll have a GPS chip that will receive from the non-US constellations. The Russians, Chinese and the EU all have their own GPS birds now. Typically the US market phones only receive US and Russian constellations.

WHAT? Are you off your meds? The US GPS is SUPER accurate. My Google Maps app actually shows me in the correct RV space here in Houston. Your post is nonsense.

LOL! Even my $225 Android phone using a $9 GPS app is spot-on accurate.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
"Best, most accurate?" There are many units which will get within 1/2 inch, but you'll pay $ thousands.

OTOH, any modern cell phone will get you within sight distance, and answer all your complaints which were completely unrelated to accuracy.

What do you want, "accurate", or the convenience of finding the next gas station without paying attention to the roadside signs?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you need to do is go to the Garmin site support section, and scroll down to map and software updates. You will need a male standard USB/male micro USB cable to connect your Nuvi to a PC. Download the software, plug in the Nuvi. The software will recognize the Nuvi and walk you through the update process. Expect it to take something like 2 hours to download and update the maps.

Updated software and maps should solve a lot of problems.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for google maps. Most accurate for traffic due to sharing of real time info.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Read my post.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
And I need it via satellite as I travel in places with no cell service

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
I need to know where along my route is the next gas station and the next. Like a 200 mile route. I have a small gas tank. Google Maps and Gas Buddy are fine for right where I am but thatโ€™s not my issue.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin nuvi 2589.
Voice command, LMT, "up ahead" feature tells you fuel/bathroom/food along your route, super easy to update with Garmin Express. Uses 4 Square for 6 million POIs. Has upgrade options like fuel economy routing, and backup cameras.
What's not to like?
Sadly, it's been mothballed, but you can still find them on Amazon for around $229. Got mine on sale from Best Buy 2 years back for $179.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

Cell phone provided Google maps get their feed and your location via triangulation through the provider cell sites.

GPS are direct from earth roaming satellites, thus, Global Positioning Satellites.