cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Satellite Finder App for Android

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Samsung Galaxy 3 10.1 tablet. What is the best app to download to facilitate finding Dish satellites 110,119,129 for set up? From what I've read, some apps that work on smartphones don't do so well on tablets...anyone have a app working well on a tablet?
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pappcam wrote:
I use SatFinder. It's free and it works.

Thanks, I do not currently use Sat TV but I can still use the app.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I like Satellite AR.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
In Florida you will spend hours trying to find a hole in the trees.
OK.. yes, that would be a good use for a finder app. And Palm Springs is pretty much.. desert.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info...SatFinder is the one I've been looking at but will also check out Dish pointer Pro and Satellite AR.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
If you already use an app for this, and it works for you, great. I used AR satellite on a 'droid for DTV, but I found it to be a waste of time.

A good ol' compass heading and a bit of sweeping the sky works for me.

You must live in a desert. In Florida you will spend hours trying to find a hole in the trees.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I use SatFinder. It's free and it works.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dish Pointer Pro

This app to find satellites works well and is the โ€œgold standardโ€ and I find it very useful to identify satellite location, trees, etc.

That said I donโ€™t automatically recommend it for 3 reasons:

1. It has a few very basic programming errors that should be fixed, but I was able to work around then. The author AlanSH has repeatedly promised fixes and updates on the forums for the last 2 years. But it hasnโ€™t happened. So until and if he steps up to the plate and supports his product then buyer beware!

2. The product depends heavily on good phone or tablet hardware to detect itโ€™s GPS location, compass heading and elevation. My iPhone does a good job in this category but other hardware may/may not.

3. The iPhone version is on the expensive side at $20.

Suggest you read the forums and decide if itโ€™s what you want. But having said all of that I havenโ€™t found anything else Iโ€™d rather have. Hereโ€™s a view from my daughters house for 3 DTV birds (you pick your birds for your service). This was actually the only location on her property where the dish would work. What's not shown is that as you walk around the picture is updated in real time. This is extremely useful in determining if a site or location in a site will have satellite access.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Satellite AR is the best if you want free...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish Pointer Pro is probably the gold standard.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you already use an app for this, and it works for you, great. I used AR satellite on a 'droid for DTV, but I found it to be a waste of time.

A good ol' compass heading and a bit of sweeping the sky works for me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman