cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camera help needed

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
I am an amateur photographer - emphasis on amateur.
For the past few years, I have been using a Canon EOS Xti camera with good results, but lately, I can't seem to get a good picture.
Everything is slightly blurry, and I can't decide if the pics are out of focus or the problem is something else. They almost look like exposure time is set too long.
I've tried doing a reset to default, but it didn't seem to help.
Could it just need a professional cleaning?
What else could I try?
Thanks
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
25 REPLIES 25

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
cleo43 wrote:
Digital cameras made in the last 15 years all have built-in UV filters on the sensor.

You mean 'anti-aliasing' filter ?

My full frame 36mp Sony A7r does not have an anti-aliasing filter and that gives it sharper images .

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
Digital cameras made in the last 15 years all have built-in UV filters on the sensor.

You mean 'anti-aliasing' filter ?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
mabynack wrote:
You probably need to clean the autofocus sensor. Also try cleaning your lenses. I always keep a UV filter on my lenses and replace them about once a year. It's a lot cheaper to replace the filter than the lens.

Why do you need to replace the UV filter?? Isn't taking them off periodically and cleaning all you need to do. I use UV filters on my lenses but certainly don't need to replace them. I'm just curious...don't mean to imply anything but that.

yep, basically I put a new UV or clear filter on a new lens, just blow the dust off the lens,I do NOT wipe it, and that filter stays on indefinitely unless of course a Pol. filter is needed. I certainly don't remove the filter to clean the lens or inner surface of the filter as that shouldn't be needed. if the UV filter needs replacing you must be cleaning with sandpaper?????? I am not one who subscribes to the school that a clear/UV filter will degrade the image to any meaningful degree.
and do NOT try cleaning the sensor yourself, have a professional do it.
bumpy

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
If you think your photos are being over exposed you may want to make sure you dont have some sort of exposure compensation turned on. I'm guessing not because over exposure would just turn everything too bright and not out of focus
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolmom42 wrote:
Digital cameras made in the last 15 years all have built-in UV filters on the sensor. There is no need for an external UV filter. It is another source of optical degradation & chromatic aberration. The only possible purpose it serves is protecting the front lens element. That can be done very effectively by using the lens hood turned the right way.

This is why I said it's personal preference. No one uses a UV filter for the original purpose on a digital camera - they ONLY use it for the protection of the lens.

Some folks believe that putting a UV filter on the lens protects the lens and is worth any degradation that might occur. Others believe that a lens hood, proper handling, etc. will better protect the lens without any degradation.

Those two camps tend to be VERY split.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
scbwr wrote:
mabynack wrote:
You probably need to clean the autofocus sensor. Also try cleaning your lenses. I always keep a UV filter on my lenses and replace them about once a year. It's a lot cheaper to replace the filter than the lens.

Why do you need to replace the UV filter?? Isn't taking them off periodically and cleaning all you need to do. I use UV filters on my lenses but certainly don't need to replace them. I'm just curious...don't mean to imply anything but that.

It's personal preference. Could be the thought that the UV filter becomes scratched with time and it's better to replace it, or that after X number of cleanings, it gets a bit fuzzy, etc., that additional cleaning can't correct. There are more opinions on UV filters than there are on dogs in campgrounds.

Digital cameras made in the last 15 years all have built-in UV filters on the sensor. There is no need for an external UV filter. It is another source of optical degradation & chromatic aberration. The only possible purpose it serves is protecting the front lens element. That can be done very effectively by using the lens hood turned the right way.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
Might be the lens is not turned on AF -- if you accidentally flip the lens MF switch, it will not focus and all your photos will be blurred.

One other issue: Check your contacts - lens to camera. If those get dirty (and they do over time) a little contact cleaning will do wonders for the communication between lens and camera.

This.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Bob! Were you able to fix your problem? If so, what was the fix?
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
the bear II wrote:
I had a professional video business for over 30 years. About every 3-5 years my video cameras would begin to have what looked like a blur to the videos. I tried having the cameras cleaned by the factory but the problem wouldn't go away. This happened with 3 different cameras over the years. I ended up replacing the cameras.

My guess is the sensors/electronics get out of alignment due to age and use.

However, Cannon replaced everything in mine for free. It is hetter than my new Minolta camera now.

New Minolta ? Sony purchased Minolta about ten years ago.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Might be the lens is not turned on AF -- if you accidentally flip the lens MF switch, it will not focus and all your photos will be blurred.

One other issue: Check your contacts - lens to camera. If those get dirty (and they do over time) a little contact cleaning will do wonders for the communication between lens and camera.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
I had a professional video business for over 30 years. About every 3-5 years my video cameras would begin to have what looked like a blur to the videos. I tried having the cameras cleaned by the factory but the problem wouldn't go away. This happened with 3 different cameras over the years. I ended up replacing the cameras.

My guess is the sensors/electronics get out of alignment due to age and use.

However, Cannon replaced everything in mine for free. It is hetter than my new Minolta camera now.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Are you shooting in full auto mode (green box)?
Or in aperture (Av) or shutter (Tv) priority? Or?

Is your lens set to autofocus, or manual focus?
Do your lenses have image stabilization? Is it turned on?
Does it do the same despite which lens is on the camera?

If you think the exposure time might be too long, then try shutter (Tv) priority and set it to at least 1/80 of a second. Higher, if possible, say 1/125 or more.

Check your ISO setting too. Is it at 100, or 1600, or? If you have it set too high, the images might appear noisy or blurry.

Has the camera been dropped or taken a hard bang?
What about the lens that is on it, has it been dropped recently?
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
scbwr wrote:
mabynack wrote:

It's personal preference. Could be the thought that the UV filter becomes scratched with time and it's better to replace it, or that after X number of cleanings, it gets a bit fuzzy, etc., that additional cleaning can't correct. There are more opinions on UV filters than there are on dogs in campgrounds.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
The diopter would make you THINK everything is out of focus, but as long as you are using auto-focus, the camera would take a clear photo. The diopter would only affect the photo if you are using manual focusing - because you're telling the camera what to use for settings based on the blurry image you're seeing due to the diopter.

If the lens is dirty enough to affect the photo to that extent, then the camera would have a difficult time locking focus to take the photo in the first place.

As others suggested - try different lenses on the camera to see if the problem repeats. If it only does it with the one lens, then that lens is the problem. If it does the same with them all, then the camera is the problem.

It could be something got jarred inside and is out of position.