cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World will not price match. Do your research!

m35a2
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a customer service rep tonight about the 7500 watt dual fuel generator which sells at Camping world for $949.00 on sale.

I can get the same generator at Cabelas for 899.

She refused to price match, so Cabelas will get a 900 dollar sale which would have otherwise gone to Camping World.

In the store last weekend, I was thinking about picking up a Sewer Solution, as I had one a few years back with a prior 5th wheel.
$159 at Camping World. $79 at Amazon.

I do love to spend my money on my rv'ing habit, but I try to spend wisely rather than foolishly.

I think I'll probably just buy all of my stuff at Cabelas rather than Camping World if this is how Camping World does business.
29 REPLIES 29

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"They (CW) have some nice stuff! The staff was really friendly too."

You can't have that nice CW store and friendly staff selling RV stuff for one or two percent above cost plus shipping. Get real, stay real.

That's funny stuff right there^^^
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"They (CW) have some nice stuff! The staff was really friendly too."

You can't have that nice CW store and friendly staff selling RV stuff for one or two percent above cost plus shipping. Get real, stay real.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam Care Team wrote:
Hello m35a2,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam and providing your feedback regarding price matching at Camping World. I apologize for the experience you have had and have forwarded your concerns to the proper team for review.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

Lol

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You are a wise and consciousness consumer. You have selected to purchase your items at the lowest priced establishment. Nothing wrong with that at all. But not every company does price-matching, nor do they need to or have to either. Every establishment runs their own business the way they deem best for them.

Just like running into a gas station on your way home from work and grabbing a gallon of milk... you're going to pay $1.00 to $1.50 more for that gallon at the gas station then if you went to your favorite local grocery store.... right? But eventually, the milk is sold in that store, and the folks who purchased there are extremely happy and have no problems spending the extra $1.50 on that gallon, knowing good and well they could get the exact same thing cheaper somewhere else.... The only problem is, "somewhere else" is not at a convenient location on their path home from work.

You have to weigh the issues, cost vs convenience vs YOUR time vs how much running around you have to do, vs how much you spend on the internet looking up things and comparing prices, vs the expense of fuel to travel to a stick and brick store.

So Camping World has higher prices, but for some folks, they don't do internet shopping at all, they don't have ready access to a Cabelas or a Bass Pro shop, or a Gander Mountain. Availability, ease of access, and TIME all factor into our personal decisions where we purchase items and what we are willing to pay for them.

Your choice for place of purchase was good. You did your homework. But that does not mean Camping World has to accept price matching.

FYI: Last Summer we wanted an outside folding table we could use for a dishwashing station. We checked Cabelas, since they opened a brand new one not very far from where we live. The price was more than we were willing to pay. On vacation, we stopped in a Camping World in South Carolina. Guess what my wife found? You're right! The same table.... and it was lower priced than Cabalas. Different region of the country could account for the difference in prices? Maybe. But guess were we spent over $100 that day!

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
m35a2 wrote:
I talked to a customer service rep tonight about the 7500 watt dual fuel generator which sells at Camping world for $949.00 on sale.

I can get the same generator at Cabelas for 899.

She refused to price match, so Cabelas will get a 900 dollar sale which would have otherwise gone to Camping World.

In the store last weekend, I was thinking about picking up a Sewer Solution, as I had one a few years back with a prior 5th wheel.
$159 at Camping World. $79 at Amazon.

I do love to spend my money on my rv'ing habit, but I try to spend wisely rather than foolishly.

I think I'll probably just buy all of my stuff at Cabelas rather than Camping World if this is how Camping World does business.

From what I can determine, Camping World does not have a price match policy. They do have a price guaranty that if they lower the price on something you bought from them in the last 30 days they will refund the difference but not from others.
Companies do not have to price match and from various encounters I have had with price matching at stores it is fraught with exceptions and distortions.
If a company elects not to engage in price matching it does not make them bad and if someone bases their patronage on this type of policy, then that's their choice.
I buy where I get the best value for my situation. If I need it now, I may pay more to get it. If I can wait, I will shop around.
I have gotten some good deals at CW over the years and I have gone elsewhere for other items when the deal was better elsewhere.
The lack or existence of a price match element does not even make the top 5 reasons to buy somewhere for me.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Those of us that have been here KNOW that CW DOES NOT PRICE MATCH.
Nor should they have to, Walmart will not price match AMAZON in store.
Having a store means added expense.
Cabela's is merging with Bass Pro Shops so I guess their business model was not to successful.
Is the price at Cabelas available in store or only online?
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hello m35a2,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam and providing your feedback regarding price matching at Camping World. I apologize for the experience you have had and have forwarded your concerns to the proper team for review.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TinyoneRV wrote:
I expect CW to match a store in the same market; i.e., same town, or same trade area. However, I would not expect the same courtesy in different markets; i.e., CW in Cleveland to match price with a Cabellas in Columbus. Those are completely different markets with entirely different cost structures. Likewise, I don't expect a brick and mortars store to match an on-line store. Even Wal-Mart stores don't match their on-line prices.

I think CW knows they cannot compete on price with a behemoth operation like Wal Mart. Consequently, they don't even try.
CW should match prices from like businesses i.e.: other RV specific stores. There are no other national RV chains, but there are other local RV dealers to compete with. Those are the competitors CW should be matching on price. The others will be a losing battle simply because they have way more buying power and different cost structure than CW.
A smart consumer understands are retailers are not created equal. I don't expect Ace hardware to be as cheap as Home Depot on the same item, however I am willing to pay because I know I can get better more knowledgable service at Ace.
Selection is CW's strength not pricing. There is no other national chain that has the vast selection of instock RV merchandise than CW.
There are very few independents that have CW's selection.
If you want to see and touch it first, or need it now buy at CW.
If price is most important by on line.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
I expect CW to match a store in the same market; i.e., same town, or same trade area. However, I would not expect the same courtesy in different markets; i.e., CW in Cleveland to match price with a Cabellas in Columbus. Those are completely different markets with entirely different cost structures. Likewise, I don't expect a brick and mortars store to match an on-line store. Even Wal-Mart stores don't match their on-line prices.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
X2...with their non-prepped...and really uncaring after-sale fixins'...bad stories abound....but their stores...to buy RV things...good stuff. I'm a fan.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
CW sucks all around imo. They sell crummy RV's to uninformed people, where then have to wait at CW for warranty work which is non existent!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
At the end of the day CW knows their margins and there profit point.
THey have a business model and are certainly aware of price matching and choose not to do it.
They have decided selling an item at a loss or below their profit point does not benefit them.
Most of us have done our research and are are of CW's policies for better r worse
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are ragging on CW for prices on stuff where you believe you can do better. So? Shop elsewhere if you wish. Retailing is tuff business and unless you have been in a senior retail position, I respectfully say you don't know what you are talking about. I don't and have divested myself of all retail investments since the dawn of internet sales.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

m35a2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I get the feeling your kind of like me; you would very much like CW to be a great store but they're just not willing to make the effort.

Yeah I'm disappointed. One of their stores is just up the road from me. They have some nice stuff! The staff was really friendly too.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I get the feeling your kind of like me; you would very much like CW to be a great store but they're just not willing to make the effort.