cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I put my SIM card in other devices?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
My company has a corporate deal with ATT so I get really good prices on truly unlimited data. Our new FW has the connect anywhere system, which is basically a built in hospot and router/brodcast to provide wifi inside the camper. It controls all the systems in the RV from my phone and allows for remote monitoring as well. You can activate this with whatever company you choose and I could call ATT and activate it through them. But why confine my hot spot to the FW? If I have a mobile hotspot, can't I use that when not in the FW and then take the SIM card from the hot spot and install it into the connect anywhere system in the FW? Basically use the same SIM card and swap between devices? Do carriers know or care what device the SIM card is in and will it work?

Further, if I have a VZ hotspot for duplicity (I work remote) can I swap that into the FW's system too.

Maybe it doesn't matter and it's a moot point, but my thinking was that the built in system in the FW with antennas in the rv will have a stronger broadcast signal than the hotspot. Maybe it doesn't and it's not worth it.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
15 REPLIES 15

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:

I think you missed the point of my previous post. I have unlimited data on each device. I was referencing using a hotspot, but someone mis-took that as the phone. I am not taking the sim card out of my phone. I am taking it out of a hot spot and essentially putting it in the FW's hotspot. The phone(s) has unlimited data - for itself, but can't broadcast it in hot spot mode. I could add it on, but it was the same price as a dedicated hotspot - so I got that as a hotspot is usually better at being a hotspot than a phone.

If it's a dedicated hotspot device, just take the hotspot device.

Separate vehicle based systems just seem like a way to add an extra bill without much of any benefit. You can try it but I'll bet it's at best a big hassle to move the SIM every weekend.

This is a good point. My new truck has a wifi, I've never activated because I haven't found one good reason I would need to.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:
Have you tested your phone as the hot spot in and outside ur 5thW? Maybe it's strong enough, making the swap not needed. Unless you've got a 300ft 5thW with really thick walls :B
Or maybe there's a plug and play booster you could just plug into the phone. That would be easy too.

Just to be clear we are talking about a hot spot not a phone. Due to the very low cost of my plan through work, we have truly unlimited data but the hotspot feature on the phone is locked out - thus why we need a stand alone hot spot. Agreed that the hotspot in the FW is probably redundant. It came with it and I was just going to try it out. It also came with a wifi booster - which is not a cellular booster but rather if the CG has wifi it will boost that. Pretty useless for my purposes with the exception of the rare occasion the CG wifi is better than my hotspot. Even given that, the login screen for the booster isn't accessible by my work's laptop and VPN (it's a security lockout). I do not know if it would boost my hotspot signal... Need to try that out.

Anyway, was just trying to leverage the already installed equipment.

AH.Gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.;)
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

I have the Winegard Connect 2.0 4G on my fifth wheel... I have an AT&T Hotspot that I purchased online that was unlocked and had NO SIM card..

I purchased an unlocked AT&T HOTSpot triple cut SIM card form Ebay online. I can swap that SIM card from my connect 2.0 and my hotspot whenever I want...

BUT at the end of the day, I keep it in the hotspot as it works just fine, and no need to go on the roof to get if I want to take it remotely
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FMCA Tech Connct
Sprint 4G where it works (So far it works for me) 50/month (49.95) plus 50 setup... So far very happy (on my 3rd month)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
way2roll wrote:

I think you missed the point of my previous post. I have unlimited data on each device. I was referencing using a hotspot, but someone mis-took that as the phone. I am not taking the sim card out of my phone. I am taking it out of a hot spot and essentially putting it in the FW's hotspot. The phone(s) has unlimited data - for itself, but can't broadcast it in hot spot mode. I could add it on, but it was the same price as a dedicated hotspot - so I got that as a hotspot is usually better at being a hotspot than a phone.

If it's a dedicated hotspot device, just take the hotspot device.

Separate vehicle based systems just seem like a way to add an extra bill without much of any benefit. You can try it but I'll bet it's at best a big hassle to move the SIM every weekend.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To answer the subject line I will tell an old joke.
Researchers talked to 3 groups of men asking "Boxers or Briefs"

The young men said: Briefs
The middle age: Boxers
The Seniors: Depends

and the Seniors have the wisdom of the ages here. IT Depends.
Some Sim cards will not FIT in some devices
Some sim cards will not work in some devices due to assorted issues
Some devices are "Jailed" even though that is supposed to be illegal.
Some sim cards may be as well. (Technology exists but I don't know if it is being used)

And before you ask even if you give me make, model, serial I DO NOT KNOW what is and is not compatible.

I do know this a Sim card from a Samsung S-3 won't fit an S-7 (Different size)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
, we have truly unlimited data but the hotspot feature on the phone is locked out .

Truly unlimited data would be you can use as much data for whatever you want (including hotspot)...If the hotspot feature is locked out, it's unlikely it would be unlocked by putting it in another device.

Et-al - to add what could be some complexity - FR tells me that some units come with a slightly different version of the connect anywhere equipment - requiring me to activate an account through Lippert (no idea who they might have partnered with) and will not work with any other carrier.

Basically, to me, most (potentially all) the equipment in the FW, while neatly installed, antennas on the roof etc, are basically worthless to me. I am not paying Lippert for a limited data plan which would be exponentially more costly than the unlimited plan I have in a portable hot spot. The Wifi booster might be helpful, but if I have cheap unlimited cellular data, why would I opt for boosted and normally horrible and throttled CG data. If it were a cellular booster, that would be a huge win, but it's not. I am really not sure who they were marketing this tech equipment to. The time and complexity of the install is great, but people who truly need connectivity need a completely different setup.

Anyway, I am away from the FW at the moment, but we have a trip planned in a few weeks and I will try some of these ideas out. I forecast though I will end up with my current hotspot and install an after market cellular booster and the stuff that came with the FW will just gather dust. If I find that I do not have to activate through Lippert but through my own carrier I could do that, but why would I? Why would I opt for activating the connect anywhere in a FW I use a few times a month over a hotspot I can use all the time anywhere? granted We will be part timing in a few mos, but the hot spot still offers much greater versatility.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
way2roll wrote:
, we have truly unlimited data but the hotspot feature on the phone is locked out .

Truly unlimited data would be you can use as much data for whatever you want (including hotspot)...If the hotspot feature is locked out, it's unlikely it would be unlocked by putting it in another device.

More importantly, SIM cards are typically tied to the device. They aren't hard to move but you will likely have to go on and change the device with the carrier each time you move it and if it shows up as a hotspot, they likely will balk at activating it.

We just use a cheap burner phone as a hotspot. It's rare that we get too far away and when we do, you can just grab the phone and move it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
It would be worth a try. The hotspot might be dumb enough to accept the SIM without a hiccup. Whereas another phone would likely require some esoteric input to make it 'play nice' with the SIM. Keep in mind that there are different sizes of SIM cards now, but there are adapters too.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Bert the Welder wrote:
Have you tested your phone as the hot spot in and outside ur 5thW? Maybe it's strong enough, making the swap not needed. Unless you've got a 300ft 5thW with really thick walls :B
Or maybe there's a plug and play booster you could just plug into the phone. That would be easy too.

Just to be clear we are talking about a hot spot not a phone. Due to the very low cost of my plan through work, we have truly unlimited data but the hotspot feature on the phone is locked out - thus why we need a stand alone hot spot. Agreed that the hotspot in the FW is probably redundant. It came with it and I was just going to try it out. It also came with a wifi booster - which is not a cellular booster but rather if the CG has wifi it will boost that. Pretty useless for my purposes with the exception of the rare occasion the CG wifi is better than my hotspot. Even given that, the login screen for the booster isn't accessible by my work's laptop and VPN (it's a security lockout). I do not know if it would boost my hotspot signal... Need to try that out.

Anyway, was just trying to leverage the already installed equipment. The only real advantage I see if it does not broadcast stronger than my hotspot, is that I have remote access. Handy if I want to check my tank levels or put the awning out when I'm 50 miles away. ๐Ÿ™‚ We don't camp with pets so monitoring HVAC isn't a big concern. It will also alert me if something throws a code. Apparently it's a smart trailer. Smarter than me anyway.

MrWizard
The SIM card in your Hotspot
Might be locked to the HOTSPOT, if so you can call att and get the PUC, aka the unlock code for the SIM card
Either way you can take the SIM and Put it in the connect anywhere and try it

I have an att hotspot account, and I can move the SIM at will as long as it is another att compatible hotspot

If the SIM will fit the connect anywhere, and you unlock the SIM, change the lock code, so AT&T can not remotely lock it once you move it back to the HOTSPOT

Post edited to correct mistake
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
folivier wrote:
Does your router allow a usb connection from your phone?
Doesn't look like it and even if it did, it's in a control panel closet in the hallway and wouldn't be easily tethered. We stream everything, I work remote etc and our phones are not set up with hot spots.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Does your router allow a usb connection from your phone?