cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Phone Email app?

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Samsung S7. My home windows computers are all using Thunderbird / IMAP email programs.. PROBLEM.. I can't find an email app for my phone that will reflect what the IMAP email system is on my home computers has other than unread emails and sent emails.. in other words, once I read an email at home and put it in a separate/subject folder under the inbox, I can't see it on my inbox or anyplace else on my phone.. Maybe this is normal but if not..looking for another email app???
25 REPLIES 25

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Bluemail will handle imap ,pop3 or Gmail all in one app.

The stock S7 email client handles MS Exchange, IMAP and POP3. I assume Gmail uses one of those last 2.

There's no reason to switch clients unless the features just aren't what the OP is wanting. It should do what he is asking it to.

The OP wrote:
"looking for another email app???"
I responded with Bluemail, which is another Email app.
I'll let the OP determine if he needs/wants a new app or not
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Are you saying using Gmail in a browser is better on your phone than the gmail app on your phone or that the browser on a PC is better than app on the phone?
The latter on Gmail, that the browser on a PC is better than app on the phone?

I would not consider using Gmail in a browser on my phone, I seldom open a browser on my phone, most everything I do on my phone has an app tailored to the phone (Gmail is just one example).

I am a geezer (will turn 80 this year) and went to work for IBM in 1960 when computers still had vacuum tubes. I am not an early adopter of new technology but I usually move on soon when better things come along. Cloud computing is one of those things. Cloud computing is in some ways full circle from the old mainframe computers/dumb terminal days to PCs on everyone's desks and now to remote servers with client workstations. What goes around comes around. That's why I am full into Google since I view them currently as the best solution (and basically free) but something else will come along to supersede them.

And I am a mouse and keyboard guy also, just more efficient for me for most of my tasks. But as I said in previous post, I do love my smartphone and all it can do.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy wrote:
wnjj wrote:
In both cases, a program communicates with the mail server. The difference is whether the program is the local client or one running on a web server but simply displaying back to the user. I contend that a local client program often provides a richer user interface. Furthermore you can choose from a variety of client options instead of whatever the web email offers.
wnjj, I'm trying to understand your point but it eludes me. Sorry, I appreciate your civil discussion but your paragraph above leads me to believe we are talking about two different things. I find just the opposite, the Gmail browser client is much more functional than the Gmail app on my phone.

I suspect the problem is that I am a Gmail user and the issues you see are in some other context. And I don't have a touch screen on my laptop or desktop. I love my smartphone but I often make the point that the only problem with a touch screen is that it is a touch screen. ๐Ÿ™‚

You are correct that I donโ€™t use Gmail (app or browser). My comments are based upon experiences in other web/non-web software and the programming mechanics behind them (my right-click example above).

Are you saying using Gmail in a browser is better on your phone than the gmail app on your phone or that the browser on a PC is better than app on the phone? I agree that any version on a PC with a mouse will be easier (at least for me) to use than a mobile device. I too like the mobility but whenever I really want to do anything itโ€™s back to the PC, with a mouse and keyboard. Using an email client on my PC also makes it easy to locate when I have multiple browser tabs open. Email is its own easy to see program icon and one of my most frequently used programs at work.

All of this is my experience and only my opinion and though Iโ€™m not a geezer yet, Iโ€™m known to find what works and stick with it maybe even longer than I should. Using a client app also means it will operate the same for me whether Iโ€™m accessing my work or home email or even change email providers. Itโ€™s quite possible things I consider shortcomings of browser-based software have been addressed in some applications. I work as an engineer in a semiconductor company but didnโ€™t even have a smartphone until 2013 so maybe my opinion isnโ€™t worth much. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In the end, the OP wanted a solution for email on his phone. I don't think web email is a good solution for mobile.

Thanks for the discussion.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
In both cases, a program communicates with the mail server. The difference is whether the program is the local client or one running on a web server but simply displaying back to the user. I contend that a local client program often provides a richer user interface. Furthermore you can choose from a variety of client options instead of whatever the web email offers.
wnjj, I'm trying to understand your point but it eludes me. Sorry, I appreciate your civil discussion but your paragraph above leads me to believe we are talking about two different things. I find just the opposite, the Gmail browser client is much more functional than the Gmail app on my phone.

I suspect the problem is that I am a Gmail user and the issues you see are in some other context. And I don't have a touch screen on my laptop or desktop. I love my smartphone but I often make the point that the only problem with a touch screen is that it is a touch screen. ๐Ÿ™‚
- Our Blog -

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy, We actually almost completely agree and if it seemed like we weren't before, it was indeed a communication thing. Many moons ago, I wrote a C++ program that communicated with a mail server over POP3/SMTP. I get how it all works under the hood with ports & sockets, etc., however I'm not the best at communicating while trying to target a non-tech audience. Your post is very helpful in clarifying this for others.

There is still a difference I claim in how the client -vs- web email work. While I agree they can offer exactly the same function with how you process/read/delete your email, they differ in the user interaction. The web one is limited to what keys, clicks, shortcuts and touches/swipes the browser supports and the client is limited only by the OS. The web interface can be the most consistent across platforms but the client can be customized for the hardware it runs on.

For a simple example on a PC, right-clicking in my email client brings up context menus for my email and is sensitive to where I do it. On the other hand, right-clicking in my web-based email brings up the browser's generic right-click menu which has nothing to do with my email. From what I've read, this may stem from some browsers not supporting that ability or from developers who don't implement the response in their code.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
From Cool Hand Luke: "What we have here is a failure to communicate." ๐Ÿ™‚
Email exists on mail servers that serve a domain identified by what follows the "@" sign in an email address. These mail servers are provided by many entities, e.g. ISPs, web hosting services, any individual with a computer, and the list goes on. All mail servers have basically the same functions:
  • Maintain accounts for email users
  • Administer usernames and passwords for email accounts in its domain.
  • Receive emails destined for its domain
  • Upon request and authentication from an email client (username/password, allow access to emails for that user, and optionally allow deletions of emails belonging to that user.
  • There are other server functions related to sending emails not related to this discussion.
What an email client (vs the email server) does with this access to an email account is up to that client but basically all a client can do is access emails on the server and (optionally) delete emails on the server.

And that is where all the confusion begins. Early on email clients were device based but as technology evolved that model became limiting as users wanted access to their email from many different devices and locations. Hence web-based email clients that could access a email server from any device in any location.

Google uses "Gmail" to refer to two different things that adds to the confusion. Their mail server(s) that serve their domain (gmail.com) and their Gmail client(s) on devices or a website that can access email on a gmail server or any other email server out there in the universe. And contrary to a comment in another post, a Gmail client app on a phone/tablet has the same function as a browser based Gmail client. After all Gmail clients are synced such that any user configuration change made on one client is reflected in all Gmail clients of that user. In any case they just access emails on mail servers.

Here's a link that is more inclusive than my feeble attempt above: Email Explained
- Our Blog -

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
THe problem is in your thinking.. When you download the E_mail to your home computer and remove it from the "HOST" ushing protocol the file now exists on yoru comptuer.. NOT the host

Your phone can not access it

SOLUTION
Dump the Client based E-mail (T-Bird) and go with Web-Mail. Yahoo, G-Mail. Microsoft's current mail system and most other E-mail hosts today offer a Web mail.

With Web mail I can access from this Chromebook, the one beside it, the Windows machine below it, the one in the ham shack, the one in the bedroom My Phone or tablet. All see exactly the same thing.

If I move it off to a folder.. all see that folder

All see exactly the same thing

NOTE: the downside: Limited storage on the free Web clients. pay for more is an option.

This post shows a lack of understanding. You need to get up to speed so to speak before posting.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
wnjj wrote:

Gmail is an app so nothing to do with web clients. A web client means using a browser like chrome to access a web page for email.

No, Gmail is a mail service that includes a Web-based interface AND and app interface. I use the app on my phone and the web browser on my laptop.

Dave

The 'Gmail' I was referring to (using POP3, IMAP, etc) in the context of web/non-web discussion is an App (compiled, installed application), not an "interface". It is like email clients that have been around for decades and need not even connect to gmail.com. You can use it to pull email from many mail providers. You can also use it without using the web client the way you use it on your phone. So yes, it's an alternative to using a web client.

Regardless, the solution the OP found works for him. The Gmail App may have just as well.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:

Gmail is an app so nothing to do with web clients. A web client means using a browser like chrome to access a web page for email.

No, Gmail is a mail service that includes a Web-based interface AND and app interface. I use the app on my phone and the web browser on my laptop.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Gmail.
As often occurs this perfect solution is ignored, maybe due to comments like "No reason to be forced into crappy web clients". ๐Ÿ˜ž

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Gmail.
As often occurs this perfect solution is ignored, maybe due to comments like "No reason to be forced into crappy web clients". ๐Ÿ˜ž
- Our Blog -

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for suggestions.. Blue Mail made everything work as I envisioned it should..

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
try this in your thunderbird

in account settings, go to server settings, check "leave messages on server", check "for at most xx days (I use 14 days).

With these settings, anything I get on thunderbird I also get on my cell phone using gmail. (I get my gmail and my outlook.com email).

I hope this works for you.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Bluemail will handle imap ,pop3 or Gmail all in one app.

The stock S7 email client handles MS Exchange, IMAP and POP3. I assume Gmail uses one of those last 2.

There's no reason to switch clients unless the features just aren't what the OP is wanting. It should do what he is asking it to.