Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Pardon me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it as I skimmed this thread. There's a very helpful Yahoo forum at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/?yguid=29973248

In the Files section are some excellent tutorials for the major cell providers.

Ted H.
'02 Lazy Daze
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Janke5
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Verizon and T Mobile aircards for all of our personal and work internet access.
Verizon (5220) is faster (almost as fast as Broadband) and T Mobile is cheaper. We haven't had any coverage problems with either service.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
That Sprint group is really helpful. It convinced me that Sprint will NOT be a mechanism for me to access the Internet from my PC except perhaps VERY casually. I'll either stick to WiFi or get an aircard from one of the providers with an unlimited plan.

Thanks!

Jim

Rob_Teresa
Explorer
Explorer
What about those of us who (good or bad) are using TDMA ? phones, i.e. Nextel? Any hints or suggestions there?
Robbie, Teresa & "Boo" (Boxer)

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
W-22, Aventa II, BrakeBuddy
2004 Honda Accord toad

dicnic
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding Sprint, they will first send a warning letter and then cut off your service if they find you using up large amounts of bandwidth via their network. They simply do not wish to support Internet access via their cell phones. Lots of folks do, but the ones that abuse it with lots of continous bandwidth usage get caught and dumped.

Check the Sprint Users Group to read some horror stories.
Sold our 2001 National Tradewinds, might buy a new on someday.

One Bald-Headed Old Guy (me)
One Jewish-American Princess (DW)
Two Birman Cats, Mocha & Coco

I speak three languages: English, Sarcasm & Profanity

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
Photog101:
I always had one problem or another with Windows 95/98/ME, but XP has been great.
Have never had a Blue screen of Death with XP either.
XP is, as some say, a menory hog. It was designed for more graphics. Something like MAC is. I have 512MB of Memory, but I can go to 1 GB. The more memory the smoother it runs.
I bought a Toshiba A75-s206 laptop last august, about $1100.00. It has XP home because I don't need all the fancy stuff that PRO has. We needed something small for the RV.

If I get rich I'll buy a MAC for heavy graphics work.

I just received my Direcway Satellite [Dustyfoot], but it is raining almost constantly here on the Oregon coast and I have to set it up. It's on a tripod.

I'm now using my Laptop with my Verizon Card and it is just running smooth.

It is hard to save money on these new technologies but it has worked out for me.
Just research before you buy and keep to well known dealers if you buy on the internet. Check out "Newegg.com. Good reputation and good prices.

Photog101
Explorer
Explorer
lwmuddy:
Thanks for the info. I guess that I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Win XP. Right now I am using Win98SE and it will not see my VX6100 on the USB port.

I really hate to have to go through all of this, as I completely upgraded and rebuilt my laptop last year, getting it ready for the coach. Being that this is a 1996 model, I can no longer get an upgraded BIOS and might have to really bite hard and spring for a whole new laptop, which will already be loaded with Win XP.

OUCH!!!
"Doc"
Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.
'12 C2500, EC, 6.6L Duramax
A couple of older 5th wheels housing homeless vets.

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
To photog101:
Widows XP Home on my Laptop and my wifes HP Pavilian Tower.
We tried once using the cellphone for the internet when we first started fulltiming and the salesman sold me "The works" that cost me $589.00 the first month. WATCH THOSE SALES PEOPLE". tHEY ONLY KNOW WHAT ARE TOLD, with little or no "field experience".

Today,if it ever stops raining, I'm going to start setting up my Direcway Dustyfoot Satellite System for the internet connection and maybe later Vonage for telephone by satellite.

Photog101
Explorer
Explorer
lwmuddy wrote:
Today I completed my collection of cellphone and Internet connection equipment.
This equipment connects my laptop and my wifes computer to the Internet plus increases the range of our Cellphone.

As long as the phone says 1XRTT. Analog is no good.
5- Adaptor cord from LG 6100 cellphone to the amplifier.
Alternativewireless.com $14.95 Now has FULL BARS.

What operating system are you using on your computer?
"Doc"
Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.
'12 C2500, EC, 6.6L Duramax
A couple of older 5th wheels housing homeless vets.

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
We are next to the ocean in Florence Oregon and the Verizon signals are weak here.
Cellphone had 1 bar and weak.

Today I completed my collection of cellphone and Internet connection equipment.
This equipment connects my laptop and my wifes computer to the Internet plus increases the range of our Cellphone.

As long as the phone says 1XRTT. Analog is no good.

1- A Wilson Truckers [$45.95] antenna on a long 3/4 inch PVC pipe pole sticking up the side of the RV above the roof top. Alternativewireless.com or a truck stop.

2-Wilson Dual Band Amplifier [for cellphones and Computers].
AlternativeWireless,com $254.95 Plugs into the cigarette lighter plug.

3-Verizon #5220 PCMCIA Air Card in Laptop. $100
[$79.95 per month. UNLIMITED 24/7 A little slow sometimes, but not bad.

4-Adaptor cord from #5220 Card to Amplifier.
Alternative Wireless.com #AA359917 $14.95

5- Adaptor cord from LG 6100 cellphone to the amplifier.
Alternativewireless.com $14.95 Now has FULL BARS.

The only drawback now is that I have to switch the antenna cord from the PC to the Cellphone. This I will cure next with a switch.

My PC connection speed with the 5220 Card runs from 3KB/s to 15KB/s. Depends on how busy the Lines are.

I use OPERA 7 brouser, because it is much faster then
Internet Exploder-6.

Works for me.

optech
Explorer
Explorer
This is an excellant resource for connecting different bands of
cell phones to laptops, pda, etc.

http://www.howardforums.com/
I miss my ex,
but my aim is slowly improving.

Father of the best kid in the world.

I was born at an early age...

Papaw
Explorer
Explorer
This is a link that is very easy to follow in order to connect your Sprint cell to gain access to the internet (back door).

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000930027824
2005 Carri-Lite M-36XTRM5
2002 Chevy 3500 D/A Dually

Papaw
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of RVers are using their cell through the "back door" to connect to the web at regular phone rates. Sprint users are buying a vision phone (tri-mode) such as the Sanyo MM-8300 , MM-7400 etc. that has data transfer capabilities with a USB port to connect to their laptops and purchase the vision option for $15.00/mo. and have unlimited internet access 24/7 without using any of their min. of their plan at nearly DSL speeds. Sprint tells you you are not to do this and they are monitoring this and can cancel your contract if you use too much internet time in this configuration but I have not heard anyone getting in trouble doing this for the past several years and it works very slick. Instead of sending vision pictures, you are sending internet data.

Papaw
2005 Carri-Lite M-36XTRM5
2002 Chevy 3500 D/A Dually

DAFord
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Texas, and use EV1 as our ISP. We will be traveling to Port Angeles, WA. this summer and are considering just trying our cellphone. Anyone from TX. out there who uses EV1 and can offer advice here?
Thanks,
Annette
daford@ev1.net

MrWizard
your welcome

we are all here to help each other
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s