cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap Windows tablet

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
$99.99 for a Nextbook 10.1" Windows tablet at Wamart.

Walmart tablet
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN
19 REPLIES 19

MrWizard
Possibly USB/MHL
MHL mobile high def link, aka digital video output
Uses a special cable micro USB connector to HDMI female
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I had to look it up first but on my RCA tablet I can connect a external battery to the Micro HDMI.
Usually the micro USB port is used for charging. Are you sure it's the HDMI port?
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I had to look it up first but on my RCA tablet I can connect a external battery to the Micro HDMI.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my Nextbook:

Walmart Nextbook Flexx 10.1"

I did a clean install of Windows 10 but there were too many missing drivers so I did a factory reset to 8.1 and then did an upgrade to Win 10. I had no problems doing the upgrade.

I have installed the following programs:
  • Firefox browser
  • Microsoft Office 2007
  • Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
  • Paint.Net graphics software
  • Calibre eBook management software
  • VLC media player
  • Foobar2000 music player
Right now I have ten programs running as a test. Three movies are playing using VLC and music is playing using Foobar2000 without a hitch. So much for the naysayers stating only one program could be run at a time.

A few negatives:
  • The touchpad is way too sensitive. I am using a Bluetooth mouse instead.
  • No USB-3 ports and the ports don't have enough power to handle a portable hard drive. I have to use a powered hub to use a hard drive.
  • It has a separate charge port and can not be charged via USB. You have to use the supplied charger
All-in-all it's a great tablet for the price.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
strollin wrote:

I have a 7 year old netbook with an older Atom processor and 1.5GB of RAM. I ran Win 7 Pro on it for about 5 years and could easily have about a half-dozen programs running all at the same time. 2GB of RAM works even better.

Just to share a bit -- I had the opposite experience. My wife impulse-bought an HP Netbook. 1.8GHz Atom, 2GB, Windows 7 Starter (or was it 'Basic').

She's a light user and found it to be awful. I'm a heavy user and found it to be downright horrible.

Last year, I found it wasting away in some drawer and I put Lubuntu on it. Now it's tolerable. ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess everyone's experiences are different.

I don't know exactly what software you tried to run but for "normal" everyday use (email, internet, word processing, spreadsheet, etc...) it did fine. It may just be a matter of expectations, you can't expect a netbook to run everything as fast as a desktop or laptop would.

I have tried several different flavors of Linux on my netbook (including Lubuntu) and wasn't wowed. I currently have 1 netbook running Win 10 and another running Chrome OS (between the 2, I prefer Win 10).
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

phays
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these and run Silverleaf's VMSpc on it to monitor the diesel engine on my coach. Works great for my needs. Small enough with the keyboard removed to sit on my dash in front of my existing gauges. Upgraded it to Win 10.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:

I have a 7 year old netbook with an older Atom processor and 1.5GB of RAM. I ran Win 7 Pro on it for about 5 years and could easily have about a half-dozen programs running all at the same time. 2GB of RAM works even better.

Just to share a bit -- I had the opposite experience. My wife impulse-bought an HP Netbook. 1.8GHz Atom, 2GB, Windows 7 Starter (or was it 'Basic').

She's a light user and found it to be awful. I'm a heavy user and found it to be downright horrible.

Last year, I found it wasting away in some drawer and I put Lubuntu on it. Now it's tolerable. ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess everyone's experiences are different.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Honestly, if you WANT a "tablet" buy something with Android, it is a very "light" OS with a very small foot print and you don't have the issue of MS borking your device with "updates" with no real "QA" before they send them out (yeah, they HAVE sent out several "updates" to "10" users which resulted in you LOSING your "wireless" access, try fixing that on a "tablet" with no wired network option).
Where does this baloney come from? Sure some people probably had problems with updates but I'm sure the vast majority didn't. I have 3 PCs running 10, all on automatic updates - the updates have done nothing but improve performance.

YOU may have lost, but _I_ didn't.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
...Honestly, if you WANT a "tablet" buy something with Android, it is a very "light" OS with a very small foot print ...

The first 3 tablets I owned ran Android and I liked them well enough but once I got a tablet with Windows 8.1, 2GB of RAM and a quad-core Atom processor I dumped the Android tablets. It's great to be able to run the exact same software on my tablet that I use on my desktop and laptop computers.

Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Nothing wrong with 2g of ram for a tablet. It's not a laptop, people won't be running big games on it or working on CAD drawings. Windows 8 and 10 have a very small memory footprint compared to Windows 7, since they designed from the ground up to be tablet friendly.

32G of storage is fine too, that's more than all but high end cell phones have, you won't find a $99 cell with 32G of flash. Modern tablet's are not intended or designed to operate in a vacuum. People buy them to surf the Internet, so use the Internet for storage. Plenty of free sites out there offering lots of storage options.

Even the screen is decent! 720p support and IPS panel, so you get good viewing angles.

7 amp-hour battery is a bit small for 10", keep the charger nearby.

No GPS module, so it won't work out of the box as a navigator, you'd have to add a cheap usb or bluetooth gps

Comes with a external "keyboard" runs Win8.1 and is "dirt cheap" compared to a laptop..

What do you think some folks will be considering to do with it?

Yep, buy it to use LIKE A LAPTOP..

With 2gig of Ram you WILL be limited to running pretty much ONE program/APP at a time anyway so there is no real "advantage" to buying something with a OS that is designed to run many programs/APPs at one time..

Just warning folks who may be on hunt for a cheap "laptop".. A "laptop" it IS NOT.

Honestly, if you WANT a "tablet" buy something with Android, it is a very "light" OS with a very small foot print and you don't have the issue of MS borking your device with "updates" with no real "QA" before they send them out (yeah, they HAVE sent out several "updates" to "10" users which resulted in you LOSING your "wireless" access, try fixing that on a "tablet" with no wired network option).

You can get a 10" Acer Iconia with Quad core Atom processor for $139 at Sam's.. Much better than Windoze 8.1 on a tablet..

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like and has similar numbers to the RCA 2 in 1 I picked up at the holidays to replace our old netbooks. I love them. They are much faster than the netbooks and the 2 in 1 feature is wonderful. The RCA's do have w10 on them.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Dell 12" with a core i3 processor and 250 GB HD. I had a nice Samsung 7" tablet and bumped the table. It fell on a carpeted floor never hurt the screen; but scrambled everything so you could not see anything! I will stick with the old Dell; My Acer 15.6" with upgrade from 8.1 to W/10 and an older Gateway NE -522 with 8gb ram and 1 TB HD with Linux 17.3. They keep me busy!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered the Nextbook and will pick it up in a couple of days. My old one has an IPS display like the Nextbook and it is great.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN