cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chew & Spit Pay As You Go Cell Phone and Earpiece?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be crossing the border more often now and I need a c-h-e-a-p prepaid cell phone plus a recommended ear-bud.

The last time I was in Wal-Mart getting cheated out of a tire mileage warranty I passed by the cel phones and got a shock. Thirty bucks for a Trac-Fone and no air time? It then became a "Jim Varney, Moment" and I walked out without a phone.

Usage: Cross border. Use phone for six calls, duration total perhaps 20 minutes.

Then two weeks later another cycle of calls.

If the phone drops or I forget it, the loss will not precipitate heart malfunction.

Absolute minimum cost is essential.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The ATT site asks you to enter a location to tell you what's available in your area. So you'd probably want to enter a location in California, or wherever you'll spend the most time when out of Mexico.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful

Waiting 22 minutes for this page to open...

https://www.att.com/wireless/

I am moving 500 miles north this thursday to be closer to doctors for upcoming surgeries. Internet may be better there.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at ATT Wireless Go Phones? They have a flip phone for $17.99. Or find a cheap used phone on ebay or somewhere, and just put in their sim card. One of their most basic usage plans costs a flat $2 for each day you actually use the phone no matter how long you talk (add $1 for data). For your described use that might be $4/month for airtime.

My wife and I have been happy with Consumer Cellular. But their lowest cost plan is still $10/month, no minutes included. For us it works; our combined bill for 2 phones is a steady $43/month.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the tracphones on line are free or $9 with a minutes card. 200 min 30 day plan plus text and data on a reconditioned free smart phone is $15.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
freedompop.com

Free phone service if you just need basic services and do not wander into the really rural areas.
Phones start at $30.00
https://shop.freedompop.com/products/smartphones?page=0
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind