cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chromebook usage

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use a chromebook at home or on the road? What are the pros and cons? I need something in addition to my Dell laptop and am looking at options. Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

MrWizard
Once the ebook is downloaded on your device
You don't need internet to read it
But your page location, etc.. Can not be synced to anything else unless you are online

I download ebooks from Amazon to my Android tablet, but sometimes read them on my laptop using the Amazon online reader aka browser page

If my tablet reading was offline the page locations are not synced, I have to find my place manually

All the ebooks I have bought are still on my tablet
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone..you gave me things to consider before I make a decision..do like the "no maintenance". My grandson spent 2 hours last night helping me with my present computer problems..he is in Iowa and I'm in Texas..he was connected to my computer thru Team Viewer. He finally had me take the cover off to remove and reinsert the RAM.. I thought I'd be shopping for a new computer today but that worked and everything is up and working great! He is the one who suggested a CB for my 2nd device rather than another laptop..I think he likes the idea of "no maintenance" on grandma's new plaything!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most Chromebooks have small (13" or less) displays. Makes movie watch for more than one person difficult. Also, the displays are not the best quality.

For a couple hundred more, you can get an Amazon Fire 10 HD and add a wireless keyboard and mouse. Small display, but better than most Chrome books. Depending on what you wan to do "off line" you will likely have to add some apps. Even though Amazon wants to keep you "locked in" to their store, it is quite easy to install the Google store and other third party stores.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Don't like to have my stuff in the cloud, just waiting for womeone else to grab it. Like my encrypted hard drive.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
#1 reason - No Maintenance (compared to Win10)
#2 reason - No Maintenance (compared to Win10)
#3 reason - No Maintenance (compared to Win10)
#4 quick boot up
#5 cloud storage (no maintenance?)
#6 access from anywhere with wifi access
#7 simplicity

Negative
1 - useless without a wifi connection
2 - don't completely trust cloud storage - so I have a laptop/hard drive
3 - you need to get a wifi printer
4 - some apps not supported
Gerry

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google: Chromebook ebooks
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Good points all..so IF I can load ebooks on it I would have to have internet to be able to read them? I read a lot of books using a kindle app on my android tablet now, can I do this with a CB?

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
HackerAce wrote:
I use my Chromebook for travel since its loss does not put my data at risk and it only cost $200

The downside is if you do not have a network connection use is limited.

yeah, this sums it up for us. My high school age kids both have one for school, it's nice cause if it goes missing or gets destroyed it's not a huge financial or logistical event. They mostly use it for school with google docs, and also social media instathings that the kids do these days.

Even the train they take to/from school has wifi on it, as does home and school. It's a connected world lol.

But I like my laptop. I store my stuff on an actual hard drive and can access it anytime I want with or without internet. They borrow my laptop sometimes when they want to work in an offline situation, so the chromebook is not a full replacement option for a laptop imo.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
HackerAce wrote:
I use my Chromebook for travel since its loss does not put my data at risk and it only cost $200

I agree totally with this. That's my reasoning.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer

John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Also, you need a cloud based(wireless) printer. You cannot use a USB printer.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CB is nice, but no hard drive makes storage a different concept. Almost no boot up time is really nice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman