Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

consumer cellular + data

rickjf
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
looking thru here, it seems that people really like consumer cellular.
What I would like to do if possible is use this + their data option,
and use something like foxfi so the phone becomes a wifi hotspot as well so I can use the netbook for some browsing.
is this possible? anyone do this? all still happy with consumer cellular?
thanks
Rick & Connie
GMC duramax
Arctic fox 25P
8 REPLIES 8

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
I have a TMobile no contract plan - purchased through Walmart, my plan has 5gb of 4G data, free text, but only 100 mins of talk per month. But the limited talk is not a problem because using an app called GrooveIP (small one time cost) or a free app called Talkatone, I can make unlimited phone calls through data for free. I have had service just about everywhere I have gone so far. (Any plans coverage is going to vary by location). I use Foxfi to create a wifi hotspot for our laptop - free of charge. With 5gb of data you have more data than most plans will offer and will last through the month unless you start streaming movies. After 5gb data service remains but at a lower speed. With the new month it all goes back to 4g and 5gb more.

It is hard to beat this. The $30 plan for TMobile is only available if you buy the phone or Sim Card from the TMobile website or at a Walmart store. TMobile purchased any place else does not get you the special $30 plan. And this plan has no time limit. It is yours for as long as you keep paying $30 monthly.

That sounds awesome. Where's the catch?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

rickjf
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, can you tell me what phone you use?
I was looking at the samsung rugby

thanks
Rick & Connie
GMC duramax
Arctic fox 25P

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
we use our CC smart phones with Pdanet/Foxfi for hotspot use. Service has been good most everywhere we've traveled. Just don't plan on downloading large files as their data plans aren't really setup for that.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I believe Metro PCS has unlimited data and tethering allowed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Explorer
Explorer
I have a TMobile no contract plan - purchased through Walmart, my plan has 5gb of 4G data, free text, but only 100 mins of talk per month. But the limited talk is not a problem because using an app called GrooveIP (small one time cost) or a free app called Talkatone, I can make unlimited phone calls through data for free. I have had service just about everywhere I have gone so far. (Any plans coverage is going to vary by location). I use Foxfi to create a wifi hotspot for our laptop - free of charge. With 5gb of data you have more data than most plans will offer and will last through the month unless you start streaming movies. After 5gb data service remains but at a lower speed. With the new month it all goes back to 4g and 5gb more.

It is hard to beat this. The $30 plan for TMobile is only available if you buy the phone or Sim Card from the TMobile website or at a Walmart store. TMobile purchased any place else does not get you the special $30 plan. And this plan has no time limit. It is yours for as long as you keep paying $30 monthly.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

rdthompson1
Explorer
Explorer
CC is the best. They use ATT towers, but they still are good and service is great. Been with them over 3 years. We do occasionally not have service, but it is ATT. What can one expect? We pay about $60 a month for 3 phones. If you want Verizon for $200 have at it. We can't afford it. Usually our Millenicom (Verizon) works for internet. Too bad it does not work in SW Texas.
Robin & Anita
1999 American tradition
300HP Cummins / 6 Spd Allison
2015 Mazda cx5 w/dolly

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We use Consumer Cellular and data on our phones. They do not have a WiFi hot spot option at this time although there may be some way to rig one up. We have used them for about 18 months and have been very pleased with both the cell signal and customer service. On a trip from Oklahoma to Canada we had good cell service with very few dead spots. Even in a remote area in south east Oklahoma we have had good cell service. They use the AT&T network.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
CC is the absolute worst cell service I ever experienced. My wife and I had it and when I needed it the most (my best friend from 'cross country was dying) the service on both phones quit. Payphone calls to CC were nothing but lip service and no action. I had to run to Verizon to reactive with them to receive what was the last time I spoke with him. Those bastards wanted me to send my phones to them for repair and it shouldn't take more than a few weeks. This was completely unacceptable.