cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converting EPUB to MOBI for kindle

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a hard time converting books I check out of my electronic library from EPUB to Kindle. I have downloaded Calibre, bring the books in from the library, but when I try to convert them I get a message that the "no supported source formats were found". Can someone help me out here? Thanks
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch
14 REPLIES 14

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy software to remove DRM. I guess it's legal to sell the software but not legal to use it.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
For library books I use an app called "Aldiko" on my android device. I use the Kindle app for amazon books. Are you trying to read books on a PC? Calibre won't convert library books.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
bring the books in from the library

IT IS COPY PROTECTED!!!!!

You can't do anything but read it in it's original format and NOT in Calibre.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Two Steppers wrote:
I am having a hard time converting books I check out of my electronic library from EPUB to Kindle. I have downloaded Calibre, bring the books in from the library, but when I try to convert them I get a message that the "no supported source formats were found". Can someone help me out here? Thanks

There are a couple different things going on here and not sure which part is broke. Loading the book into Calibre is one step, converting it from Epub to Mobi is another, then loading to the Kindle is the final step.

First, when you "Add" the book to Calibre, does it show up in the list of books in Calibre? If so, on the right side under Formats does it show Epub? If it does, a single click should open it up in a Calibre reader window. If its DRM protected it will tell you that in the window and not show the text of the book.

If you can read the book in Calibre next would be the conversion to Mobi for the Kindle. If that is failing then it could be a DRM issue or a problem with the Calibre install/config.

This forum is a good resource for Calibre issues:

clicky
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
No help to the OP, but our library uses Overdrive, which gives the option of epub, kindle, or reading in a browser.

Mine uses overdrive, but some books are offered in only one format.
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of success with Overdrive, Kindles, and public libraries.

Prefer Goodreader for PDF's if you take any kind of notes in books. More research oriented than casual reading.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Two Steppers wrote:
Cannot view. Window comes up asking for an app to open it.
Once you install Calibre and add your books, you can view a book by selecting it from the list then click "View". If the book is not protected a separate window opens up which displays your book. If you are trying to view a book by double clicking the epub file, Windows does not know what program to use to open it with. You will have to choose "Select a program..." then click 'Okay' and find 'ebook-viewer.exe' in the Calibre directory.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
No help to the OP, but our library uses Overdrive, which gives the option of epub, kindle, or reading in a browser.
-- Chris Bryant

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Digital Rights Management. It's copy protection.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Books downloaded from the library are usually protected by DRM and you will not be able to convert them. I use Calibre and it will convert unprotected EPUB to MOBI with no issues.

What does DRM stand for?
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
No, Kindle reader cannot read Epub books. It can read PDF though.
Books from a library are almost alays DRM protected. To test thisout on Calibre, just highlight the book and try to open it in View. If it opens. Then it isn't protected.
Then, if you can't convert it, look at what type, epub, azw3 , or whatever. Post back here with results.

Cannot view. Window comes up asking for an app to open it.
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
No, Kindle reader cannot read Epub books. It can read PDF though.
Books from a library are almost alays DRM protected. To test thisout on Calibre, just highlight the book and try to open it in View. If it opens. Then it isn't protected.
Then, if you can't convert it, look at what type, epub, azw3 , or whatever. Post back here with results.

MrWizard
i thought the kindle could read epub

but i use an android tablet and although i have the kindle reader
i usually use allread or other reader, i can read many formats epub, mobi, rtf, pdf etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Books downloaded from the library are usually protected by DRM and you will not be able to convert them. I use Calibre and it will convert unprotected EPUB to MOBI with no issues.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN