cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did someone pull a fast one on me?

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Why would a Dell computer have a Seagate hard drive in it..I did not put it there..!!!
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
36 REPLIES 36

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Well, that almost makes sense. "Almost, but not quite." courtesy of Shel Silverstein. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Never have heard of Windows usage being an issue with the life of a drive.

It could be because off all of the Viruses that target Windows. You probably would not have that Problem with Windoze. Misspelling is intentional.
God Bless!

5er4ever
Explorer
Explorer
T bone wrote:
Thanks.. I had it worked on a while back and wasn't sure..it still didn't work well.I at least had the pleasure of tossing it out onto the concrete driveway,made me feel a little better..Then I stole the fans out of it for future use!!!

Note to self....... take fans out before throwing machine onto driveway.:B
Donโ€™t bother me. Iโ€™m living happily ever after. ๐Ÿ˜‰

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah, I see now. I thought I had missed a post where he had stated why he didn't reinstall Windows. You're probably right.

But then again if I had to choose whether to reinstall Windows 8/8.1, I might choose Linux too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Either you're really good at reading between the lines, or I'm missing something entirely here. Where did sjholt post that he did not purchase or create the recovery disks? I've reread the whole thread and haven't come across that.

Just really curious if I missed a post.

Only reason I could think of not just to reinstall Windows after replacing disk, after all, it is a simple task, unless you don't have a source to reinstall from... then it gets more complex and may include spending more money. It comes from someone saying, no way I am spending $20 to get the recovery disks when it will only cost me a few dollars to make my own, but then they never actually make them.

(and I have been in computer customer service for ~35 years and seen this so many times it makes me wonder why someone would buy a computer and not have a way to reinstall when (not if but when) the disk fails)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Either you're really good at reading between the lines, or I'm missing something entirely here. Where did sjholt post that he did not purchase or create the recovery disks? I've reread the whole thread and haven't come across that.

Just really curious if I missed a post.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
cleo43 wrote:
hawkeye-08 wrote:
sjholt wrote:
Just a note here. I have an HP computer here with a Seagate HD that went TU just after the 1 year warranty. It took Windows 8.1 with it.
I now run Linux Mint and won't go back to Windows.
Also this is the third Seagate HD that has crapped out on me.
I have WD HD's that are 12 years old and are still going.

So why not replace the drive with a non Seagate drive and reinstall Windows 8.1 unless you did not make or purchase the recovery disks... I understand now, carry on..

Maybe Windows do excessive Reads/Writes (Pagefiles, Recovery Points, Virus Scan ...) that shorten the life of hard drives. The viruses themselves, if not detected and eliminated , can also contribute to that.

sjholt was just pointing out that he did not purchase or create the recovery disks so when his hard drive crashed, he lost Windows 8.1 and decided to run Linux instead of purchasing the recovery disks. I don't know how many times he dropped his laptop or set it down hard or didn't clean the vents and it overheated, but I can tell you that Windows 8.1 was not the cause of his problem...

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
no he just wants to point out he's cool because he runs linux.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never have heard of Windows usage being an issue with the life of a drive.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
sjholt wrote:
Just a note here. I have an HP computer here with a Seagate HD that went TU just after the 1 year warranty. It took Windows 8.1 with it.

So why not replace the drive with a non Seagate drive and reinstall Windows 8.1 unless you did not make or purchase the recovery disks... I understand now, carry on..

Maybe Windows do excessive Reads/Writes (Pagefiles, Recovery Points, Virus Scan ...) that shorten the life of hard drives. The viruses themselves, if not detected and eliminated , can also contribute to that.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
sjholt wrote:

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I think he was wondering what the point was that you no longer run Windows, almost like you blame Windows for the drive failing.
I was wondering why Windows was significant myself :?... a bit of a non sequitur unless Linux Mint is now running on the Seagate where Windows did not.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think he was wondering what the point was that you no longer run Windows, almost like you blame Windows for the drive failing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
"I am not understanding what Windows had to do with this?"
OP talked about Seagate HD?
Reread it.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back