cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv Genie Set up

Boldtning
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone using the DIRECTV "Genie" system with a wireless Genie mini in their rv. Would like to hear how it set up and how it works for you.
Jeff & Barbie
2010 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X2 SRW, 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Crystal River, FL/Dillard, GA/ USA
8 REPLIES 8

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI DTV is now using RG6 coax, L1RC SMS Ultimate compression fittings and barrel connectors HF-81 with a yellow insert. The Genie uses additional coax bandwidth so this equipment is recommended. Our 8 year old compression fittings installed at home by DTV had a coax shield contact problem and ours were all replaced by DTV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Farmer David wrote:
I am also interested in one of these. This 4 ft restriction does that just mean keeping like a verison hot spot 4 ft from the receiver

Right, but you would be concerned about the spacing between the Video Bridge AND the Genie receiver AND any other WiFi routers you may have. The C41W "client" is located near your "remote" TV so it probably isn't an issue. My problem is finding a spot for the Bridge that is >4 feet from both the Genie and my WiFiRanger router. The good news is that both horizontal and vertical separation are equally effective so I may locate the Video bridge near the floor since my DVR is in an upper cabinet.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Farmer_David
Explorer
Explorer
I am also interested in one of these. This 4 ft restriction does that just mean keeping like a verison hot spot 4 ft from the receiver
2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI

We recently upgraded to a DTV HR44 receiver which meant changing from a multiswitch to SWM. The installer indicated that our 8 year old black RG6 coax installed by DTV was good for many more years and that the new white coax that DTV now uses doesnโ€™t last as long in the sun. He said our PCT-DRS-6 compression fittings did not always make good contact with the coax shield and replaced all of them with the L1RC SMS Ultimate which has a red cap. He also replaced the barrel connectors with a HF-81 with a yellow insert. These changes were for the purpose of longer term reliability and the higher frequency demands of SWM.

On another note he said that DTV no longer ships equipment to customers (you can buy it online however). In addition DTV has replaced 7 of the 9 independent installer vendors in this area with DTV trained installers.

He also indicated that the Wireless Genie was very reliable with no WiFi interference if the installation was done correctly and the distance restrictions to other WiFi equipment was maintained. These 4โ€™ minimum distances as shown in the Training Guide may make installation in a rig more difficult. To be clear this is the WiFi connection from the Video Bridge and the C41W mini clients. This is NOT the internet WiFi connection that some receivers like the HR44 use. Therefore the HR44 is one of the devices that must maintain the 4โ€™ restriction.

Bob

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the DirecTV Training Manual for the C41W: Training Manual The separation distances between the Wireless Bridge and the Genie itself or other WiFi equipment is 4 feet. Earlier versions of this manual called for 8 feet which would have made installation far more difficult in an RV. The distance is both horizontal and vertical so you can separate things by height if you don't have the room horizontally.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Works like a charm. I now have HD in the bedroom with access to all channels and recordings on Genie in main area of rig. I also added the AM21 and now have all local channels available on the guide. I bought the off of ebay for $45.00. As far as range goes, I had the Wireless mini genie in the rig and it was approx. 60 feet from the house and I was receiving HD signal with no problem. Wireless mini genie is small and sets next to the TV in the bedroom. Definitely worth the upgrade....
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have one but did investigate using the C41W. It's critical that the WiFi parts all meet the minimum distance requirements from all other WiFi so that there is no interference. Those requirements would restrict equipment placement in my rig to the point that I would likely use a C41 and coax. I suspect others would have the same issues.

I have a HR44 and could run a coax from the splitter to the rear TV or outside TV if desired.

Have you considered coax? I agree with USABill that the instructions are involved. Hope they are complete as DTV doesn't seem very interested in DIY.

Bob

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Might Google Genie instructions, on line manual this available. I am using the Genie with 3 mini's but to tell you how is a bit involved..good luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab