cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which TV Antenna

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Because TC are relatively small, we need the most compact TV set up we can find. We're spending a lot more time on the road now, and would like to watch some of the sports (not local, but OUR hometown local) and thought again about the dish companies.

So, is the dish "company specific" like some cell phones, or do you get any dish and it will receive any satellite company signal -- I know, we need the company specific receiver, but what about the dish itself.

We're thinking some sports, and some movies, but not downloading the high bandwidth (too expensive), but maybe just HBO or some movie channel instead.

Any advice here ... we've researched this before, and are again because things change. Last time, we decided to forget it, but maybe now might change our mind. We'd just buy the antenna system outright, so we don't get into the "24 months" and can shut if off or change companies if the service sucks ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you ask Which Antenna.. My choice would be a Winegard Sensar IV with Sensar Pro for over the air reception.. However.. You want satellite.

Three answers:

With a SINGLE receiver and either DISHnetwork or DirecTV (not DirecHDTV) many "Dome" and "portable" antennas will work.. (some will work with multiple receivers on DirecTV, Mine will)

With DirecHDTV: you need an DirectHDTV dish.

With multiple receivers on DishNetwork, You need the proper Dish 1000.x Dish.

X depends on where you park.

The reason:
Direc uses one bird for Standard Def (old NTSC standard) 101W, for most all customers.. They use two more in a different frequency band for HDTV and the dome type antennas (this includes the portable domes) can not pick it up.

Dish Network uses 2 or 3 birds (one for HDTV 2 for SD) and dome/portable antennas usually see one satellite at a time.. So if you want to watch a show on say 119, and your "other" a show on 110,, NO JOY will be someones. But with the proper dish-1000, you see all 3 and domestic tranquility is assured.

What I use: A winegard Sensar II with Wingman and Sensar Pro.. More Over the air TV than I can watch, 2 DVR's suck it in and store it, they will let me watch in the "Other room" or download to the computer for long term storage or portable viewing elsewhere (Also accept up-stream from the computer) all those things that "ONLY ______ lets you do" I can do and more.. When I finish my next upgrade I'll be able to

Record 2 shows
Watch 2 shows (Given a 2nd person to watch the 2nd show) WHILE 2 shows are recording.
Record 2 shows, Plus record a 3nd show for immed viewing when finished watching a 4th show on a different TV. (one TV has a "Pause" feature. Not all that happy with it).

And all with free, no monthly fee, over the air TV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a different version of the TailGater (older model of something - 1000- looks just like TailGater) but it doesn't work very well, so we quit using it after a couple months. But it's pretty old.

We also see a 'dish looking' set up at Camping World (without the surround case, like TailGater $449) and it's MUCH less money $159). And seems to work outdoors as well, and is much smaller and easier to store. We travel in a truck camper, so space is a premium. BUT, don't want to sacrifice space for a poorly working antenna either - why pay less if it doesn't work well.

We don't want to 'be cheap', just get a good quality antenna without breaking the bank unnecessarily. We also have the cable that carries signal and 12v.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a few different rv sat options, google it to research them.

I use a tailgater because :
its automatic easy to set up (5 mns. ) and offers month to month service . ( Use it when you need it )
It also uses one single wire for service as well as 12 v. power. Other systems require tow separate wires.

You can order your local sports and bring the team with you by a sports package or by regular locals channels.
The 411 receiver works with the tailgater. I do not have the DVR option but I think its avl.

When I order monthly service , I always try it out in my driveway at home before I leave on a trip. Using it the first day once its been off for a few months , the service might not boot up correctly. The software goes into a 'sleep mode' and DISH has to send an electronic bullet over the airwaves to wake it up. Its just an extra customer service phone call if that happens. It happened to me 3-4x .
Dish was supposed to work that out in future software updates. I have not used mine in a year , so I don't know if they did upgrade it or not. Either way, its not a big deal.

http://www.gotailgater.com/

This below link is a good site to view the area you intend to use it . It will show you if you have a clear reception shot or not .

echostar sats: 110/119 and I think 129 are avl. with the 411/tailgater.
http://www.dishpointer.com/

I now place it on my tc roof by using my cabover escape hatch for access. If trees block me, I place it on the ground up to 100 ft away for a clear shot.
I only usually get a 60 signal strength but hardly ever loose it during a good rain, it works very well .

Dish tech told me to use the upgraded connector with the blue center. He said the OEM connector that was on the tc would eventually burn out. I bought this at H.Depot. I guess it's because it carries a signal as well as 12 v power ( maybe ? )

Hope this info helps you in your sat antenna decision.
Bob

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Dish and Direct TV use specific Satellite dish antennas and receivers.

Dish currnetly offers their Tailgator setup...it's a portable antenna that weighs 10 lbs. It's in a cube like form. It requires one of two receiver models and the plan can be purchased month to month.