cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish playmaker vs. tailgator

6string
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have pros or cons concerning these two sat dishes?
15 REPLIES 15

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As said, some of the eastern locals are only available on the eastern arc sats, and another 18 markets are scheduled to drop off the western arc this summer.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Tailgater for a few years & it works OK from the FL keys to WY & MI. I've had a few problems in PA. I wish I had room for the X2, but I've measured and measured and just have no room to carry it's larger size in my Class B.

6string
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BruceH for the info. Sounds like they will all do the job for me. I also like wine grad products and their customer service.

BruceH
Explorer
Explorer
6string wrote:
Thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have pros or cons concerning these two sat dishes?

6String ..... The Winegard Playmaker has only been out a few days, so it is unlikely anyone can do a direct comparison at the moment. Instead we can all do some speculating!

You asked about the Tailgater, but be aware there are two generations of the King Controls Tailgater antenna. The original is the white VueQue shaped model and the second generation replacement is the gray dome unit that came out in the spring of 2015. Which one are you asking about? I assume it is the new version. Hopefully when members post on their experiences with the Tailgater, they will be specific on which generation is being referenced.

The new Playmaker appears to be a replacement for the Winegard Pathway X1. (The X1 stands for one arc (DISH western arc) and X2 in the Pathway X2 stands for two arcs (DISH eastern and western)). The Pathway X1 was very similar to the King Trailgater line but more expensive. It had the advantage over the first gen Tailgater in that it could be more easily roof mounted and it had two coax outputs. Winegard also said it was the fastest out there. The first two advantages went away with the 2nd gen Tailgater which now has two coax connectors and has a roof mount option. The new Tailgater also sold for less money.

It looks like Winegard wants to compete with King on price. The street price of the new Playmaker appears to be $299 which is about $50 less than the newer Tailgater. However the Playmaker has only one coax output and a Winegard FAQ says no roof mount.

I personally have the VueQube Tailgater and a Pathway X2. Both are good and each has advantages. The advantage of the X2 is the bigger dish which holds a signal better in the rain and it can do the DISH eastern arc. That is handy even out west since it gives more options when trying to find openings through the trees for three satellites. The advantage of the Tailgater is the smaller overall size, the smaller footprint when placing it on the ground, and it finds the satellites quicker.

As far as operation, I find the Winegard X2 to be more touchy in initially locating the satellites. It is not unusual to have to attempt it multiple times. That is also true for the Tailgater at times, but not near as often. I suspect the Winegard is more sensitive to being level. I can only guess if these operating characteristics carry over to the newer generations.

As far as long term durability, my perception after reading various comment is the Winegard products may have a slight advantage. However, I have not had problems with either. Winegard has toll free phone support but King does not. That gives the impression that Winegard is a more consumer friendly company. Also, I have been more impressed with the Winegard folks at shows. Finally my brother had a power cord issue for a Carryout model and Winegard was good about getting a free replacement after the warranty was long gone.

If all I needed was the western arc and did not need two connections, I would go with the VueQue shaped Tailgater over all the choices. I like the small size and especially the small footprint when locating a level area on the ground. That makes things easier boondocking in an area with bunch grass. You can also get a refurb for about $250, the cheapest of the bunch.

As far as the new Playmaker vs the new gen Tailgater, I would most likely take the risk on what is at the moment an unknown product and go with the Playmaker. That is based on the fact that Winegard's previous products have been good, I do not need two receivers and it will not be roof mounted. The advantages of the Playmaker are:
- Winegard says it is the fasted out there.
- It is cheaper.
- My perception is that Winegard has better support.
- What looks to be the smaller shape and smaller footprint for ground mounting.

They are both very close and I doubt you can go wrong with either. I would suggest you read reviews on the Pathway X1 since it may give you an idea of what to expect with the new Playmaker.

As a side comment on dual receivers, the devil is in the detail. The X2 is promoted as a dual receiver dish but it is limited. I did some testing a year ago and so I just remember that it did not function as expected. As I recall selecting the dual receiver mode from the on screen menu options limited the antenna to just one satellite on the eastern arc. What a joke. If you need dual receiver functionally, make sure it will meet your needs. I suspect the new Tailgater functions better than the X2 in this regard since it only uses the western arc. Also remember these are single LNB antennas so both receivers must be accessing programming off the same satellite.

Please let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Nash 24A Travel Trailer by Northwood Manufacturing (6,800 LB)
2,000 Watt Prosine Inverter, 540 Watts Solar, 3024i Controller & IPN
Chevy Duramax (LLY) Extended Cab Pickup

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
thestoloffs wrote:
A minor quibble with your statement: Eastern arc is also necessary in the South Florida region (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, etc.) -- not only because of the reception angle on the satellites, but also because their local stations are only carried on the Eastern arc birds.

AFAIK, there are some other local areas that are in the same situation as SFL on their spot beam coverage. If you're going to be snowbirding along the East Coast, you might want to confirm this before you decide on a dish.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been to South Florida, so have no experience with that. Now I know!
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
jpmihalk wrote:
Western arc satellites are also available from the east coast (except for the most northern latitudes in the mountains) {snip}

A minor quibble with your statement: Eastern arc is also necessary in the South Florida region (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, etc.) -- not only because of the reception angle on the satellites, but also because their local stations are only carried on the Eastern arc birds.

AFAIK, there are some other local areas that are in the same situation as SFL on their spot beam coverage. If you're going to be snowbirding along the East Coast, you might want to confirm this before you decide on a dish.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
Denny, you say it only does western arc, but then say you would buy it if yours fails. if I travel east, would I need an eastern arc unit also.

I would buy the Pathway X2 if my Tailgater fails because it has a bigger dish and it will do both East and West arcs, we go east every few years and have had some problems with the Western arc only setup for locals.

Any of the Dish automatic setups will receive locals if you call and change them so OTA aren't needed. We haven't used our OTA antenna for years but because of the East and Western arcs we sometime don't get HD locals but have always managed to get SD. There has been a few times I had to tell them I was somewhere else to change spot beams.

I will add that we've had our Tailgater for 5 years with no problems, I just think the X2 would be a better fit. We also use it 7 to 9 months out of the year.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
Western arc satellites are also available from the east coast (except for the most northern latitudes in the mountains) so any of the X2 or Playmaker units will work. I had a Pathway X1 for Dish and it worked in upstate NY. I currently have a Carryout G2+ so I can get either Dish or DirecTV and it works along the east coast with Western arc sats.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Denny, you say it only does western arc, but then say you would buy it if yours fails. if I travel east, would I need an eastern arc unit also.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

6string
Explorer
Explorer
And now back to the original subject.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does OTA work where? OTA is very good when you are close enough to the TV towers and it doesn't work at all when you are not. Oregon Coast will likely be a mixed bag.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
have been thinking the X2 also.
we will be on Oregon coast for 3 months. does the OTA antenna work, or is X2 really needed
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Playmaker is was Winegard used to call the X1. Nice to see they gave it a name! I like the quality of the Winegard products better than the King Dome versions. Operationally they are very similar.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?