cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scangauge has made me paranoid?

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey all--Hope you are all enjoying your Fathers Day. Installed ScangaugeII in my 1997 Roadtrek with a Dodge 5.2L engine. Normal operating temperature has been 198 degrees. While driving today in the Pocono mountains of Pennsylvania in 90 degree weather, I noticed that the temperature would climb when I was climbing a grade to about 200 degrees and would return to 198 when I leveled out. At one point, I was climbing a long grade (in second gear and higher revs) when I noticed the temp was 212. Is this normal, or has the Scangauge made me more aware then the analog gauges on the dash? Thank for your input.
chartrue2@aol.com
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are worried because you know ater boils at 212(F) (At Sea Level, and no pressure)_ but in a radiator it can easily remain water at 210 or 220 due to the pressure.... And my car gets into that range without overheating often

So yes, it's normal.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds fine to me. I have a 6.0 diesel and it has a 190 degree thermostat. It's common to see 205 degrees driving on a flat road with no trailer. I've seen it get up near 230 towing up out of spotted wolf canyon in Utah once. Outside temperatures were around 110.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If your Scangauge makes you paranoid looking at coolant, just wait until you program it for transmission temperature!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
Can you read your analog gauge accurately?
Can you read your digital gauge accurately?

Whew,,still trying to piece that one together??????????????

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Can you read your analog gauge accurately?
Can you read your digital gauge accurately?
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Yes its normal, 210 degrees is the trigger point for most engine coolant fans and thermostats, Meaning they they may be designed to open and start cooling at 190 -210, but become fully open at 210 and you should notice the cooling fan becomes allot louder around 210, that means it is fully engaged and is 100 percent operating pulling full air thru the radiator.

Not uncommon to see the engine temp go to 220 then see it go back to operating temps.

The transmission temp is what you need to monitor, especially if you tow anything.
I like my scan gauge, I monitor, Horse Power, instant fuel mileage, Trans temp and engine oil temp.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds normal. I love my scangauge.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Perfectly normal. The Scangauge also records the high water temp for the the current drive, today, previous day and tank.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
In our Subaru I run full synthetic oil and a 60/40 antifreeze mix and have see 250 in a steep climb.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
this is why factory gauges have dampening in the movements.

analog and digital.

like you running on level ground and running UP a hill. you better be making more heat. IF NOT, something is about to burn up.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Those came with a 195 degree thermostat. 212 on a pull in the Poconos sounds OK to me. You don't want to see what they are running in these EcoDiesels. :E
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized