cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH TV - Rant - Unbelievable! How stupid!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 DISH TV receivers in the house. We use one of these in the camper, so it get's transported back and forth between camper and house, to keep it plugged in and active when not camping.

My son and grandson recently moved back home (going through some hard times), and he's using the 3rd receiver in his room now. So that means we need to get a 4th receiver so we can still use it in the camper. (We have all the rooms in the house wired, so this is no problem).

Called DISH this morning to get the 4th receiver. Monthly service charge is $7.00 for the new receiver, same as the the other 3. No problem. But GET THIS!.....

If you rent the receiver it costs $100 upfront and when you cancel DISH you have to return the receiver.

If you PURCHASE the receiver it costs $99 upfront and when you cancel DISH you get to keep the receiver!

I suppose "they" want you to have so much invested in the equipment, you'll think twice before canceling on them and having to purchase equipment from a competitor satellite company! That's the only logic I see behind it!

How STUPID though! Well, we "purchased", saved the $1 and the receiver is ours (it will be dedicated to the camper now, and still can go in the extra bedroom in the house when not camping to keep it programmed and set.) And if we ever cancel DISH, it will become a paper-weight! :R

Isn't that about the stupidist thing you've heard, $99 to own, and $100 to rent! RANT, RANT, RANT!

FYI, we're still happy with DISH and aren't changing for a while.

Comments welcome..... Feel free to RANT! I just did!

Comments welcome!
2 REPLIES 2

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
We got so tired of DISH and their abysmal treatment of loyal customers that we went to antenna TV. DW fought the program at first, but now we wouldn't go back on a bet. I built a little computer that we use for a DVR as well as streaming stuff from the internet. We reduced our monthly expense by 90%. The most amazing thing is that OTA TV has better HD than DISH. Now we get 30 stations of nothing to watch for free, instead of 250 stations of nothing to watch for $87/mo.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Bill_N1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We have 3 DISH TV receivers in the house. We use one of these in the camper, so it get's transported back and forth between camper and house, to keep it plugged in and active when not camping.

My son and grandson recently moved back home (going through some hard times), and he's using the 3rd receiver in his room now. So that means we need to get a 4th receiver so we can still use it in the camper. (We have all the rooms in the house wired, so this is no problem).

Called DISH this morning to get the 4th receiver. Monthly service charge is $7.00 for the new receiver, same as the the other 3. No problem. But GET THIS!.....

If you rent the receiver it costs $100 upfront and when you cancel DISH you have to return the receiver.

If you PURCHASE the receiver it costs $99 upfront and when you cancel DISH you get to keep the receiver!

I suppose "they" want you to have so much invested in the equipment, you'll think twice before canceling on them and having to purchase equipment from a competitor satellite company! That's the only logic I see behind it!

How STUPID though! Well, we "purchased", saved the $1 and the receiver is ours (it will be dedicated to the camper now, and still can go in the extra bedroom in the house when not camping to keep it programmed and set.) And if we ever cancel DISH, it will become a paper-weight! :R

Isn't that about the stupidist thing you've heard, $99 to own, and $100 to rent! RANT, RANT, RANT!

FYI, we're still happy with DISH and aren't changing for a while.

Comments welcome..... Feel free to RANT! I just did!

Comments welcome!

Dish receivers are available all over the place online for less than that $99 with free shipping. I bought a VIP211K for $83 w/shipping and it is still unpacked until I can figure out how to operate satellite in my coach. It has an old crank up dish and a King Dome which is what the previous owner was using. But he left me a wiring nightmare to figure out and I am not even sure I want satellite TV any longer so I have not even broken the sealed bags on the receiver or it's accessories/instructions.
Bill in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse Chassis, 8.1 V8 Vortec, Allison Tranny
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
USAF (Ret)