cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From Flip Phone to Smart Phone.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
My needs have changed and I'll be purchasing one of the following phones.

1: IPhone 5S
2: Samsung Galaxy S Relay
3: Motorola Moto G

I would like your comments on possible flaw(s) or best feature(s) of the phone you wish to comment on.
I intend to sign up for the 600 minute, 1500 text messages, 2.5 gb plan on Consumer Cellular. Need the phone to work as a hot spot.

Thanks for your comments
Richard
95 Bounder F53
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson
20 REPLIES 20

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Own an iPhone. Apple tech service is outstanding 24/7. Be sure and buy the Apple Care program for the tech service.

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
I still use a flip-phone, but my son is a world traveler. Pacific Island one week, Africa the next week, South America the next. He only uses and Iphone after long experience.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

MrWizard
Up until you mentioned "hotspot and Consumer cellular"

I was going to say the iPhone is the easiest to learn, most consumer friendly

I'm not sure the hotspot feature works with consumer cellular, regardless of the phone model
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
Does TMobile have the same coverage as Verizon or AT&T? Also does TMobile have a reciprocal data roaming agreement like Verizon and AT&T does?
Not according to any Tmobile user I've ever talked to. I don't know, perhaps Google does..
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
2.5GB is not very much for a hotspot. You would do much better with one of the TMobile plans from Walmart or the TMobile website (not a TMobile store) - the $30 a month plan gives you 5 Gb data at 4G or 4G LTE and then unlimited data at 3G after that, unlimited text and 100 minutes - more minutes if needed are $10 for another 100 minutes - but there are apps that will connect you to free unlimited talk through data. All on a no contract plan and you can bring any phone or buy one. Far less than the Consumer Cellular plan.

Would you please post a link to the plan that you suggest. I don't find any thing with that price schedule.
Does TMobile have the same coverage as Verizon or AT&T? Also does TMobile have a reciprocal data roaming agreement like Verizon and AT&T does?

Thanks
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
hello
BTW................If you buy an Iphone...........I am un-friending you......
those are for girls......

This was sent to me in a PM by one of our more prominent, dsylxeic members that didn't see that the phone is for my DW.
You know who you are......GRIN
There goes my ego. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Does Tmobile use Verizon's or AT&T or ....network?
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Explorer
Explorer
2.5GB is not very much for a hotspot. You would do much better with one of the TMobile plans from Walmart or the TMobile website (not a TMobile store) - the $30 a month plan gives you 5 Gb data at 4G or 4G LTE and then unlimited data at 3G after that, unlimited text and 100 minutes - more minutes if needed are $10 for another 100 minutes - but there are apps that will connect you to free unlimited talk through data. All on a no contract plan and you can bring any phone or buy one. Far less than the Consumer Cellular plan.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

How much is that particular plan on CC?
Sounds very interesting to me.
Thanks,Mike

Mike, The 600 min. voice part is $20.00. $19.00 if you are a AARP member. Add 1500 text & 2.5gb for another $30.00. Of course there are phone costs and options like bring you own phone, if compatible, and get their SIM card for free.

I started with them @ 250 minutes for $19.00 and they now give (sell) me 600 minutes for $19.00. Good service, no contract. (flip phone)
Now I'm looking at moving the DW to CC, with a smart phone.

Look around Consumer Cellular here.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
MI intend to sign up for the 600 minute, 1500 text messages, 2.5 gb plan on Consumer Cellular.
I'm more concerned about your plan than your phone.

2.5g will perhaps be good enough for hotspot use, for daily surfing and email. But do much more than that and you'll be upping that plan to twice that very soon.

Are you planning on travelling with this phone? What about CC's coverage?

Thanks for your concern but I have that covered. Already have a Verizon hot spot plan. The CC plan will replace the wife's voice only Verizon plan and only cost $10.00 more. Thus the new phone will be for voice, text & over flow data.
CC uses AT&T's system. Good coverage in most places.
We also travel with Verizon's "home phone connect". $20.00 a month, unlimited voice. Runs off the 12 volt house batteries. GRIN

Richard

How much is that particular plan on CC?
Sounds very interesting to me.
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW has ijunk. Er iphone. I have a galaxy s4. Hate the iphone. Too hard to delete emails updates... well lets just say apple screwed the pooch updating to 7. With all the glitches and bugs. Screen is so tiny it needs a young persons eyes to read and the keyboard is... well just terrible for fat old fingers. But you need to buy what you like the best not rely on the forum here.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
JoeTampa wrote:
You just stepped on the third rail of technology... The fanboys from all sides will be tugging you towards their platform mercilessly... ๐Ÿ™‚

It's really, really, really a matter of personal preference. Some general observations about the platforms:

iPhone:

Pro: Easy to use, lots of apps, lots of accessories.
Con: Can be pricey, non-removable battery, not as customizable as Android.

Android:

Pro: Very customizable, generally cheaper, decent app/accessory support, choice of vendors.
Con: MALWARE, bloatware (lots of stuff you don't want and can't get rid of), not as easy or intuitive to use.

Now I'm gonna stand back with some popcorn and watch this thread light up. ๐Ÿ™‚

ROFLMAO!!!!. Flack jack on at time of post.
Thanks for your response. Exactly what I was looking for.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
MI intend to sign up for the 600 minute, 1500 text messages, 2.5 gb plan on Consumer Cellular.
I'm more concerned about your plan than your phone.

2.5g will perhaps be good enough for hotspot use, for daily surfing and email. But do much more than that and you'll be upping that plan to twice that very soon.

Are you planning on travelling with this phone? What about CC's coverage?

Thanks for your concern but I have that covered. Already have a Verizon hot spot plan. The CC plan will replace the wife's voice only Verizon plan and only cost $10.00 more. Thus the new phone will be for voice, text & over flow data.
CC uses AT&T's system. Good coverage in most places.
We also travel with Verizon's "home phone connect". $20.00 a month, unlimited voice. Runs off the 12 volt house batteries. GRIN

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

i_Corky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Samsung Mega because of the screen size. This phone does everything. I like the big screen because I am 73. We discovered it will play Pandora (free) through the radio (blue tooth) through the entire coach. Also hands free use. I have been with Sprint 11 years with unlimited everything ($92 month). It cost you nothing to talk to Sprint. Good luck!
"Corky" & Marj Sullivan

If you focus on the problem, it gets bigger
If you focus on the solution, it gets bigger
You decide!