cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish TV while traveling

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
we currently have Dish TV. We can use Dish Anywhere with our unlimited data cellphone to view Dish programming on our TV in the camper. No additional cost involved.

Other than areas where there is no cell signal what is the pros and cons of this method rather than a satellite dish and a Wally? Additional cost of buying the dish and Wally and $5-7 per month.
3 REPLIES 3

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where we do most of our RVing here in the four corner states it is impossible other than in major cities to rely on cell service to deliver the HD programs we want to watch. We would always purchase (or had one laying around) the same sat. antenna we had mounted at home whether it was Dish or Direct TV, made a stand and set it up upon arrival.

Directv was easy, took a couple of minutes to dial in. Dish takes longer waiting for the receiver to respond, 10 minutes to get the programming to download. Pretty easy, been doing it for a couple of decades, never using anything but compass and receiver after plumbing mast. Total cost would be zero when using old antenna and homemade stand, $50 for new antenna.

We recently picked up a gently used rig and owner threw in both King Pro Directv and Dish automated domes, installed Dish dome on roof using special mount that allows for quick removal. Works OK, slower access to channels as dome antenna must move to corresponding satellite, has 1 HD and 1 SD output, roughly $400. Still carry residential sat. antenna and tripod just in case.

bgum wrote:
we currently have Dish TV. We can use Dish Anywhere with our unlimited data cellphone to view Dish programming on our TV in the camper. No additional cost involved.

Other than areas where there is no cell signal what is the pros and cons of this method rather than a satellite dish and a Wally? Additional cost of buying the dish and Wally and $5-7 per month.

Good idea, BUT - -

Is your "unlimited" data plan truly UNLIMITED ?? That could be an issue.. Once you get throttled back, its a PITA to stream.

I was told about a non profit company called - Calyx Institute

They offer TRUE UNLIMITED with no throttling.. If you pay for the Contributor level, you get a hot spot, SIM card, and truly unlimited with no throttling..

AND since they are technically a research facility, they give you a receipt for up to $200.00 in tax deductions.. so that $400.00 for the year is actually $200.00 for a year od truly unlimited.

I just received mine last week and set it up.. I am 2 days into the set up and at 29 gb and no throttling ( yet ) .

I have it on at my desk while working hooked up to my laptop streaming movies in the background to rack up the data...

** I AM NOT ASSOCIATED with them ** just a happy customer , SO FAR
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thatโ€™s it. Cell problems and you can still get program , assuming the satellite can see you. If cellular never is an issue and steaming works you donโ€™t need the dish and wally or to take the hopper from the house and you can save the equipment cost and possible 7 bucks a month extra receiver.
Bill