cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need a new laptop/tablet?

CR_CRUISER
Explorer
Explorer
The wife announced that she would like to get me a new laptop for Christmas. I am using a 5 year old Toshiba Satellite right now and it does everything that I need. It does have a few drawbacks though. It is brutally heavy and the battery is marginal to the point that I can only watch a 90 minute movie before recharging.

I use it mostly for a portable workstation for my business but I do take it with me on holidays. We are going on a Panama cruise this spring and she thinks that it will be too heavy and awkward to lug around with us. She has the same laptop as well as a Microsoft Surface tablet and can't decide which one is better.

A nice new tablet sounds inviting but without a DVD drive it limits me on some of my work projects. Is the battery life much better with a tablet? Is there such a thing as a portable DVD drive? I also need a proper keyboard as my calloused finger tips don't do well with a touch screen.

Decisions, decisions.
29 REPLIES 29

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very nice and expensive Toshiba ultrabook that I've had for a couple years and I really do like it. I was given a Surface Pro 3 to use for a couple weeks and I must say I have been lusting for one since I had to give it back. I personally really like Windows 8.1 that I have on my work 27" desktop and find myself wishing the Ultrabook was touchscreen as well.

The Surface Pro 3 should handle any software you have that is Windows 8 compatible. Just make sure you get the Surface Pro 3 as there are still some older Surface models still being sold that operate on their older mobile platform and you would have software compatibility issues.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Kathy wrote:

I love my ASUS tablet... can run MS Office programs (only Surface and Asus T100TA can do that

Actually, any tablet with Windows 8 can do that. For example, Dell has a Windows 8 tablet. You also have IBM, Toshiba, etc.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I love my ASUS tablet... can run MS Office programs (only Surface and Asus T100TA can do that) has a detachable keyboard... and the cost is much less than the Surface. (When I did the research these were the only two that could fun MS Office programs the way I needed them to.)

Asus T100TA-C1-GR 2-in-1 10.1" Laptop
Model: T100TA-C1-GR
Windows 8.1 32bit.

PRODUCT DETAILS
An entry level 2-in-1 ultraportable notebook with a 10โ€ detachable tablet.
Made from durable and scratch-resistant glass, the IPS panel for wide viewing angles at a 1366 x 768 resolution.
โ€ข Intel Atom Z3740 1.3GHz, up to 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor
โ€ข 2GB LPDDR3 system memory
โ€ข 64GB EMMC hard drive
โ€ข 10.1" 250nit WXGA IPS display
โ€ข Wireless Connectivity: 802.11a/b/g/n + BT4.0
โ€ข 1.2MP webcam
โ€ข High quality stereo speakers
โ€ข 31Wh Li-polymer battery: Up to 11 hours of battery life
โ€ข Dimensions: 6.76" (L) x 10.36" (W) x 0.93" (D) (2.36 lbs.)
โ€ข Windows 8.1
โ€ข 1 Year limited warranty
Kathy

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Strollin. Get a Windows 8 tablet. The Surface Pro is the Microsoft tablet but there are other manufacturers that build Windows 8 tablets.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
CR CRUISER wrote:
After doing some research, I've found out that my accounting program won't work on a tablet or on a Mac based system. Now I have to figure out if my mapping and charting programs are compatable. If not, then I'll stick with what I've got.

I'd bet that your accounting program will work on the Surface Pro 3 and it will run the same mapping and charting programs that your laptop will run. That's what's great about the Surface, it has the power of a laptop and the portability of a tablet. The Surface comes with Win 8.1 which is a perfectly fine OS if you give it a chance and not make up your mind about it without ever trying it.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

CR_CRUISER
Explorer
Explorer
After doing some research, I've found out that my accounting program won't work on a tablet or on a Mac based system. Now I have to figure out if my mapping and charting programs are compatable. If not, then I'll stick with what I've got.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would try to avoid Windows 8, JMHO.
Yes there are portable USB DVD drives.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on how much you use the laptop and how much of a power user you are. I have a new Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Core i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive. It does everything I ask noticeably faster than my wife's Dell with a Core i3. It also weighs less than 4 lbs and has a battery life of >4 hrs. It doesn't have a DVD, but I do have an external drive for the few times I need one.

I also use the computer for business and I enjoy having one that does tasks quickly. I don't mind it when it goes to "sleep" because its recovery time is so short. Is it essential to have this powerful a computer? No, but since I also use it for business, it does make some chores easier and more pleasurable.

BTW, I also have an iPad and an Nexus tablet, neither of which get used all that often. I like having a computer I can run Photoshop, TurboTax, Quicken, etc, on and not be limited to apps. I'm sure tablets have their place, but so far I haven't found them to be useful in business applications.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

az99
Explorer
Explorer
You need 1 of each. You must be the laughing stock of wherever you go with a 5 yr. old laptop. I thought everyone was required by law to replace all electronic devices every 6 months.
I am just being a smart a-- of course. I use a laptop that old and thought I needed a tablet until I went and looked at them and did some research.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
CR CRUISER wrote:
The wife announced that she would like to get me a new laptop for Christmas.

Decisions, decisions.

At this point your only decision is what brand to buy. Your mind has already been made up for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

From an old married guy.
๐Ÿ™‚

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the question you asked in the thread title, "Do I need a new laptop/tablet?", the answer would be "no" you don't need a new one. You could replace the battery on the old (can't do much about it's weight though) and continue to use it since it does what you need it to do. Only you can answer as to whether you want a new one or not.

Personally, I really like my MS Surface Pro 3 but I bought it more because I wanted it rather than needed it. I suspect that most people buy new computers because they want rather than need. The same with cars, boats or even RVs.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plenty of portable usb driven DVD drives that work really well. If you still need access to work applications including Office or other Windows based apps, I look at the Surface Pro or perhaps the 2 n 1's that are available where the screen comes off and then works like a tablet.

Personally the only reason I still own a Microsoft based laptop is for Excel and the availability of a mouse. Otherwise I can do all I need to do on my IPhone or IPad.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
A little more pricey but a MacBook Pro is what I went to. Small learning curve but Wow, what a nice change! I'll never go back to Microsoft again. I use it for my part time business and vacations. Love it.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
CR CRUISER wrote:
A nice new tablet sounds inviting but without a DVD drive it limits me on some of my work projects. Is the battery life much better with a tablet? Is there such a thing as a portable DVD drive? I also need a proper keyboard as my calloused finger tips don't do well with a touch screen.

Decisions, decisions.
Lots of external DVDs. Try here. Just be aware that some of the newer tablets do not have a USB port.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old Toshiba also and I couldn't get on the internet with it. it was full of virus's. had it cleaned out and it still works fine. I use it on trips too. I bought a new Dell 17" screen and it is heavier than the old Toshiba. I also have three tablets, every one of the kids like them, I'm not a fan of the tablets. too old to see the small screens. DW uses a tablets to do her reading. she gets books from Amazon. now a days you can keep every thing charged up through your power points in your truck.