cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DTV local channels when traveling

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
directv has been great about changing my service address awhen I travel so I can get locals in the area where I stop. I always call them. Can I do it on line. If you have done it on line would you tell me how? Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

JFreitas
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
JFreitas wrote:
This is what I do. I get on DTV web site and contact account management. This is what I send them. It works for me.

How many times have you done this while on a camping trip?

I did this 4 times on this last trip.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the transcript of a chat session I had with DTV customer service. I did not mention the word RV, only referred to it as a vacation home. I've removed names and identifying info to protect the guilty. ๐Ÿ™‚

Question: I own a vacation home that is used frequently. What is your policy regarding the number of times I can change my service location? I do not need service in both locations at the same time. Thank you. [Incident: XYZ]

Hi, my name is [customer svc] How are you today?
Me: fine, thank you.
Her: Nice to know that you are doing fine, Me!
Her: No worries, I am more than glad to assist you with your vacation home.
Her: I just want to clarify, are you referring to suspending one of your home?
Me: No. I'm taking the receivers from my primary residence and using them at my vacation home.
Her: I see. Yes, if you already have a second home set up and has a dish installed, you can move your receivers and activate it on the second home.
Me: Is there a limit to the number of times I can switch my service location between the two homes?
Her: No, do you have 2 account numbers?
Me: No, just the one.
Her: Alright. Thank you for sharing that. There is no limit on changing homes.
Me: Perfect. Thank you!
Her: You are most welcome! To make sure that I have covered everything, would there be anything else I may assist you with? I'd like to take care of it right now.

Me: That's all I need today. Thanks again, Her.
Her: Awesome! I really hope that this will inspire you to recommend DIRECTV to your friends and family, Me.
Her: Just click "end chat" when you're ready to go & you'll automatically get a transcript of our conversation sent to your email.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JFreitas wrote:
This is what I do. I get on DTV web site and contact account management. This is what I send them. It works for me.I'

I'll try that.

For the new service address (phone calls) they almost always want the zip and county so include that in the email. I'm sure a PO Box would not work.

I've had untrained reps and 2 different times they changed the billing address w/o telling me. But lately the training seems better.

How many times is this acceptable? No idea. However since they tell me I'm a "valuable customer" I know they will make the change.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I do exactly what Roundown does. I agree they are always very helpful and polite. I would love to pay for the DNS but would need to be full-time with the mobile account I think. I like to have the local channels from tv so I can record. Otherwise the OTA would be fine. When we are gone no one is at home to watch TV. If they were they would lose locals when we change them. I pay by credit card automatic so billing address is meaningless. Thanks for the response.

roundown8366
Explorer
Explorer
I call DTV @ 800 531 5000, get a human on the line, tell them this is for an RV, have them change my address, push the red reset button on the DTV receiver and within 5 to 15 minutes, I have the local channels. The DTV person then has me check a few local channels to make sure that all is good.

The DTV folks have always been patient & polite, & easy to talk to. I have done 4 or 5 times this year with no problems

Dean

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
JFreitas wrote:
This is what I do. I get on DTV web site and contact account management. This is what I send them. It works for me.

How many times have you done this while on a camping trip?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

JFreitas
Explorer
Explorer

E-mail Account Management at DIRECTV. Account number #########

First name:
Last name:
Acct No:

I am traveling in a recreational vehicle and would like to change my service address for local channels to.
WHEREEVER YOU ARE. I will be here until ADD DATE. My billing address will remain ADD ADDRESS
Thank you,

When we have finished our trip and then send them this message.

We have completed our trip in our RV. We are at home now at our service address ADD ADDRESS, Please turn on the local stations for are home address. Our billing address will remain ADD ADDRESS
Thank you,

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jdocter7 wrote:
We are fulltimers. When we move, I go to the Dish website . . .

This thread's about DirecTV locals, not DISH.

We're waiting for a DirecTV user to explain how they are able to frequently change their local stations while on the road.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers. When we move, I go to the Dish website, log in and start a chat session. I have a message ready that I copy/paste explaining that I have Dish for my RV service and I would like my service address updated so I can get local channels. Then I give my new address including the zipcode. I remind them not to change my billing address, but sometimes that gets changed, too... Our bill comes in an email, anyway, and I can correct that on the website myself. They update the service address and within 15 minutes, we have local channels.

It's not 100% foolproof, and sometimes I have to explain that we do not have a house, we live in our RV, etc. but it does work. FYI, the taxes change when your service address changes. That bumped our bill up by more than $5 a month in Florida!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You are only 1 of a very tiny group of folks who I have ever heard of that successfully change (DirecTV) locals frequently. Please let us know how you are currently doing that.

Ditto!
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
YUP!
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
We just pay the extra $15 and we're done with it....Dennis

That's for DNS, right?
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just pay the extra $15 and we're done with it....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, there is no online option to change locals. You might try starting a chat session and try to get to the same folks you are calling (tech support?). You are only 1 of a very tiny group of folks who I have ever heard of that successfully change locals frequently. Please let us know how you are currently doing that.
Thanks.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?