cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

free win10 upgrade

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Question: When is the free win10 upgrade not free?
Answer: If you download it and set it up as dual boot along with Win7.

I guess technically it is free if it replaces your present Win Os but set up as a dual boot is considered as a different machine and will require the $119 to activate.

I don't really want Win 10 but there are some games that will only work on 64 bit machines and I have a few that will run on Win7 but not Win10 and I don't wish to upgrade to Win7 64bit. And probably a dual boot with Win7 64 will put me into the same boat as present.

Will probably go to Win10 sooner or later and the $119 won't be felt but, still........

Strange that they tell me my activation code is xxxxx-and show the last four numbers, but don't activate it.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK
5 REPLIES 5

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
And pretty sure the "free upgrade" process does not support dual booting either. It has to do the "upgrade"...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
diftw wrote:
There is not a free upgrade from Vista-correct? We have an older laptop we us to stream audio that's tied into our home sound system. I've looked for the upgrade for that computer and can't find it.

Only Win 7 and Win 8 computers are eligible for the upgrade.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
There is not a free upgrade from Vista-correct? We have an older laptop we us to stream audio that's tied into our home sound system. I've looked for the upgrade for that computer and can't find it.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I admit , I'm not a computer whiz kid, but I have tried to get my Window 10 eligible computer upgraded for about 6 months now and it finally completed the install today without hanging up on some issue.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, it's pretty straight forward about how it works, so what's the problem? You could always install W10 and buy a copy of W7 and reinstall it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"