cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM Wi Fi 4g LTE on without using the accessory option.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado with Wi Fi 4g LTE, it is great to use on the road but in a park when in our RV one must leave tne iginition key on accessory, not fond of doing this while in the RV.

Has anyone did a work around to allow the WIFI to be on and turn it off easily when done?

Thinking it requires a switch to replicate the accessory being on.
Any experience from users that have tried a work around is greatly appreciated, thanks!
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.
20 REPLIES 20

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Canuck Travellers wrote:
Only problem is the truck shuts down after 10 minutes, I guess I could leave the key in on accessories and lock up with second key.

yes, that 10 minutes or so is the downside. for us, we usually use our verizon hotspot (CDMA) , but if we can't get verizon reception, then we use the onstar wifi which is ATT (GSM). so, when on onstar wifi, which is kinda spendy anyway, I usually use the onstar wifi only for checking email, updating banking etc. etc. so 10 minutes usually is ok, if not I repeat the ritual.

Now if you have ATT service and have the onstar wifi as another device on your plan, and want to use it for long periods, don't know a solution. would be nice if there was an option to allow wifi timeout to be longer AND a little more power on thge wifi for more range.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Only problem is the truck shuts down after 10 minutes, I guess I could leave the key in on accessories and lock up with second key.
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, ktmrfs's solution is an easy,quick fix, never thought of that, that will get us thru for the most part...thanks!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Check to see if your hotspot is plugged into the Obd diagnostic port

Remove it, and get the model number
Then look online for a 12v or 120v power supply for it

it's not in the obdII port, it's part of the onstar system controlled by the accessory power.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Canuck Travellers wrote:
We have a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado with Wi Fi 4g LTE, it is great to use on the road but in a park when in our RV one must leave tne iginition key on accessory, not fond of doing this while in the RV.

Has anyone did a work around to allow the WIFI to be on and turn it off easily when done?

Thinking it requires a switch to replicate the accessory being on.
Any experience from users that have tried a work around is greatly appreciated, thanks!

actually it will run for about 15 minutes with ignition off, just like radio etc, provided you do NOT open the drivers door.

So, yes, it can be done, actually reasonably easily, but it will only run for about 15 minutes at a time. the solution is to get in the passenger side, turn the key to on to get wifi to start, then take the key out, and get out the passenger side. do NOT, repeat do NOT open the DRIVERS door. that is what turns the system off immediately.

oh, and locking the car after getting out the drivers side does not turn off wifi, at least on my 2015.5 duramax.

downside is that the wifi range isn't that great, it's likely designed to cover the car and not much else. I found 30-50 ft radius max.

MrWizard
Check to see if your hotspot is plugged into the Obd diagnostic port

Remove it, and get the model number
Then look online for a 12v or 120v power supply for it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s